G. Pulchra has molted 3 times in a year and a half

jenaveve

Arachnopeon
My first T is a G. Pulchra that I have had since March of 2020. Not sure about sex yet or technical size but the abdomen before molting is about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger. She’s molted three times since I got her though and the first was in April 2020 then again in December and just molted about 3 weeks ago. From what I’ve seen it seems like a lot in a short time is that good or bad? What does it mean? The first two pics are post molt and the video is premolt for size. her abdomen is also very very small now considering how big it was premolt as you can see in the video though it is hard to see how small it really got it is pretty thin.

Attachments

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
is that good or bad? What does it mean?
No one can tell if it is good or bad, normal or abnormal.

Your tarantula will molt when it wants to.

It knows when to eat, when to stop eating, when to molt, when to start eating again.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
It’s just like how some people grow slow and some grow fast.

Each tarantula I’ve owned follows the same concept IMO, even same species I’ve kept have grown at different rates by specimen. It’s hard to exactly pinpoint exactly why your t is growing at the rate it is

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
My first T is a G. Pulchra that I have had since March of 2020. Not sure about sex yet or technical size but the abdomen before molting is about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger. She’s molted three times since I got her though and the first was in April 2020 then again in December and just molted about 3 weeks ago. From what I’ve seen it seems like a lot in a short time is that good or bad? What does it mean? The first two pics are post molt and the video is premolt for size. her abdomen is also very very small now considering how big it was premolt as you can see in the video though it is hard to see how small it really got it is pretty thin.
G. pulchra's are generally considered to have a slow growth rate. So is T. albopilosus and I have two.

My female went from 1 inch in December 2019 to 4 inches by December 2020. So.....not a slow grower. My other one I suspect is male is growing slower.

So there is no definitive answer on growth rate. Some can take a very long time to grow and others can grow faster.

Usually growth rates are compared between keepers to kind of get an overall picture of if it is slow, medium or fast by the majority. Even then some keepers can have T's that grow slower or faster in comparison.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Welcome to owning a Grammostola species! Notoriously slow growth rate...but on the bright side, your spider will be with you for a long time. Decades if it's a female.

Duke1907

Arachnopeon
Sounds to me like your husbandry is on point and you have a very Healthy G pulchra.

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
my 3 inch pulchra has just molted for the third time this year. (since january) .