G Pulchra Colors?

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I have a ventrally sexed female G. Pulchra that is about 3 1/2" and mostly brown. I was wondering if this is any kind of indicator of the spiders final coat or better yet when do these guys get dark black?

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its only a matter of months before it molts into a jet black. Like blondis, Pulchras are jet black when they are freshly molted and some pulchras turn brown as their skin gets old. I received a male pulchra that is brown but after it shed it became jet black. Also, G pulchra becomes fully jet black at 2" :). I hope I answered all your questions.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I hope that is not the case. I bought her from a reputable seller on this site and he assures me it is. Although she for sure does not seem to be right now, the seller is really friendly and responsive and I want ot give him the benifit of dought. I will have to give it some time and hope she is just in pre-molt or something. Another Pulchra owner said hers were kinda brownish after the second molt then turned back. Is there such a thing as a brownish G Pulchra?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine turned that jet black color when it got to 4" Before that it just wasn't the black I was expecting. Thats probably what you are experiencing. It'll turn black for sure.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3.5" is the magic number! That next molt is a big one! It will get a lot of its coloring next time! You will smile huge when you see it next molt!

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine turned that jet black color when it got to 4" Before that it just wasn't the black I was expecting. Thats probably what you are experiencing. It'll turn black for sure.
I agree with him it will turn black so don't worry too much, some pulchras just have different degrees on when they are going to turn black. Most of my pulchras usually turn fully black when they reach 2". Probobly your has not molted for a long time that's why its color is kinda dull

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
DrJ, :?{D First off I'm a dude and definitely plan on staying that way :). My first 2 pulchra went through this brownish phase between 2nd and 3rd molt. I had brief questions as to them possibly being G formosa due to a scattered yet considerable amount of whitish flecking at the tips of hairs. I was later informed by several that this can be a variable trait with pulchra. My largish juvy male is now showing this less than it previously was. The prosoma was still a much paler grayish on my small juvies immediately after a molt as usual.

I'm betting that if a known, reputable dealer sold you the t as a pulchra then that's what it is. Another note about 3 small ones I currently have- They were actually much browner than the first two. 3 of the initial five also had an unusual banding on the opisthosoma and very pale brownish prosomas I'd never noticed with the first two. I though early on that the seller had possibly made a mistake and they'd been switched with early instar roseas which he also had at the time. He said not to worry- and for good reason. Hope this helps. Cheers,

Terry

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Terry, Dude, accept my apology,
Honest mistake I promise. I feel much better after reading all the responses to my post. You guys are the best. I cant tell you how much better I feel, accept now I have the anticipation of having to wait until the next molt ot the one after that. I have been waiting a long time to get this little girl and cant wait to get what i want. Thanks to all of you.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Same story here. Mine turned really black at 2.5". They also begin to fade and take on a brown color when they enter pre-molt.
I recently got a large 6-7" female that is solid brown, no hint of black at all. I am wondering if she is a G pulchra. I am just hoping she is well over due for a molt, and will come out with that beautiful jet black coat.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
DrJ, No problem whatsoever on the mistake. I though it was funny! {D

Scool, I only keep scant notes in my molt chart but I distinctly remember one individual being more brownish from right after the molt until the next. I don't know what caused this as it was already black during the period before that molt. With such a long period between molts of adult pulchra, I'll bet your female is only a bit faded and will be a jet black beauty after her next.

:)

Terry

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
DrJ, No problem whatsoever on the mistake. I though it was funny! {D

Scool, I only keep scant notes in my molt chart but I distinctly remember one individual being more brownish from right after the molt until the next. I don't know what caused this as it was already black during the period before that molt. With such a long period between molts of adult pulchra, I'll bet your female is only a bit faded and will be a jet black beauty after her next.

:)

Terry
My fingers are crossed. I would hate to find out I got something else for the price I paid. She was a German import, so it is very possible.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Around 2.5"

Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed by this forum.
In certain cases of envenomation, hospitalization has been required on occasion.
A few tarantula Genus and species may have very potent venom, Please use caution when dealing with these species.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They start getting jet black around 2.5" I dont have experience , but i have seen multiple reports and photo's . When slings , they are just brown :eek: I want one !

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They start getting jet black around 2.5" I dont have experience , but i have seen multiple reports and photo's . When slings , they are just brown :eek: I want one !
Sounds about right. Mine all turned around the 2"-2.5" mark. I have a couple others on the verge with the next molt, which will put them at 2.5"

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds about right. Mine all turned around the 2"-2.5" mark. I have a couple others on the verge with the next molt, which will put them at 2.5"
Hey D!

That boy I sold ya was very brown and about 3.5" I guess until it molted and blammo!!!! BLACK!

Jeannie got my other one and was the same size and just as brown at 3.5. I'm waiting to hear how black he got with her on the next molt.

Joe

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey D!

That boy I sold ya was very brown and about 3.5" I guess until it molted and blammo!!!! BLACK!

Jeannie got my other one and was the same size and just as brown at 3.5. I'm waiting to hear how black he got with her on the next molt.

Joe
I did not think he was all that brown. Not quite s stunning as he is now. He is out, I will have to see if he will let me get a shot.

Smallera I have an offer for you, your PM is full though.