G. Pulchra Color Change

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's an illustration of the stark color change that can occur as a G. Pulchra sling gets larger. This one is about 2 1/2". The first of two imperfectly-focused pics is from a few weeks ago, and the second is after it molted two days ago.

Attachments

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ohhh.....that's a nice color change.:D Congrats to you & the spidey.:D

Can't wait until my 1 1/4" sling gets that color. He/she just molted again yesterday....so I don't know what the new size is yet. Gonna wait a bit before checking the new size.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. pulchra

Yep, here's a pic of one of my 6" females. Great before and after contrast. That's why I'll take each and every "dirty brown" G. pulchra, after shed they are beautiful Black Swans! (Great song)

N-Joy
Art

Last edited:

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for posting those pictures. When I get my 1 inch pulchra sling from Invertepets I won't be wondering if I've gotten the wrong spider because it's a rust brown color.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: G. pulchra

Originally posted by Midwest Art
Yep, here's a pic of one of my 6" females. Great before and after contrast. That's why I'll take each and every "dirty brown" G. pulchra, after shed they are beautiful Black Swans! (Great song)

N-Joy
Art
How big is that spider? That is fantastic. It seems bigger than a juvenile. You mean they can stay brown for that long before suddenly turning black in one molt?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: G. pulchra

Originally posted by Midwest Art

N-Joy
Art
I thought they were just brown up until a certain molt, and then they turn black. Are you saying that even a black one, will turn brown with time and then molt out as black again?

Jon

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: G. pulchra

Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
I thought they were just brown up until a certain molt, and then they turn black. Are you saying that even a black one, will turn brown with time and then molt out as black again?

Jon
Yes, I am also confused about this. I thought once they got black, they stayed that way. Does anyone know for sure?

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they do get a tad brownish....

Once they reach about the 2 inch mark they become a nice dark black after a molt but this does fade to a dark brown before they molt again. Pretty much they get darker black as they gain size but the adult coloration shows up at about 2 inches and yes even the adults fade some between molts.

Phil

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Now I get it!

My 3" G. pulchra looks black, but sheds brown. She still looks black before her shed, just not as dark. :confused: :? :D

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: they do get a tad brownish....

Originally posted by Phillip
Once they reach about the 2 inch mark they become a nice dark black after a molt but this does fade to a dark brown before they molt again. Pretty much they get darker black as they gain size but the adult coloration shows up at about 2 inches and yes even the adults fade some between molts.

Phil
This is my experience, too. If it's a young spider molting annually, they pretty much stay black, but as they grow older and lengthen time between molts, you see more browning--at least, I do. I have a mature male pulchra who's almost 3 years old now, and he is VERY brown.

Joy