G. pulchra Climbing

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Does anyone else have a G. pulchra that climbs constantly? I have had this little one for over a year. I got it around 1.5" and it's now 2-2.5" and in both enclosures I've had it in won't stop climbing. I've tried two different types of substrate and rehoused once. It's a bulldozer, that's for sure, but no matter what it won't stop climbing the walls; Never uses it's hide. Maybe mine is just a faux arboreal. I've read they calm down as they get older but this is a little one that seems most comfortable on the walls. Would be nice to see it relax. All my other terrestrial T's don't climb but this one. @Dorifto or anyone else had a pulchra sling/juvenile that always climbed?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Seriously? Seriously that we have to ask you for pics? 🤣🤣🤣

Mine had that behaviour while she was on coco fiber. Changed the substrate to my topsoil mix and stopped inmediatly.

If I'm not wrong, your last substrate was batco right? Did you tried adding clay to it? Eg mixing it with excavator clay, so it becomes more cohesive.

What about the moisture level and ventilation?

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Seriously? Seriously that we have to ask you for pics? 🤣🤣🤣

Mine had that behaviour while she was on coco fiber. Changed the substrate to my topsoil mix and stopped inmediatly.

If I'm not wrong, your last substrate was batco right? Did you tried adding clay to it? Eg mixing it with excavator clay, so it becomes more cohesive.

What about the moisture level and ventilation?
😂😂 Lol I can send pictures. I figured I had described it well enough and that some of you wouldn't think of me as a complete noob. Let me get a photo.

I used cocofiber actually at first when it was 1.5" - then when it reached 2" I put it on Reptisoil with a few bits of charcoal, leaf litter and mosses scattered throughout. Plenty of ventilation (sides and whole lid has ventilation) and I overflow the water dish every couple of weeks - sometimes I let it dry out - and doesn't seem to make a difference. It doesn't climb in one spot, all over, so it doesn't seem to be in relation to any moist places - it will climb on the dry side often, but for these photos just now it's by the water dish. Here it is now after bulldozing the substrate, still climbing:

PXL_20221007_082030135.jpg

PXL_20221007_082012503.jpg
PXL_20221007_082510254.jpg

And it's fat butt now on the bottom cage when I had to scoot it down to the substrate to get the lid back on (little fatty mcfatterson might molt soon):

PXL_20221007_082804946.jpg

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I personally don't like reptisoil, too much mulch on it that makes it loose.

Mine settled once I gave her a nice deep stable burrow, until that she wandered and bulldozed her enclosure all day long. Imho she would take advantage of a nice deep enclosure.

Do you have any other deeper enclosure?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone else have a G. pulchra that climbs constantly? I have had this little one for over a year. I got it around 1.5" and it's now 2-2.5" and in both enclosures I've had it in won't stop climbing. I've tried two different types of substrate and rehoused once. It's a bulldozer, that's for sure, but no matter what it won't stop climbing the walls; Never uses it's hide. Maybe mine is just a faux arboreal. I've read they calm down as they get older but this is a little one that seems most comfortable on the walls. Would be nice to see it relax. All my other terrestrial T's don't climb but this one. @Dorifto or anyone else had a pulchra sling/juvenile that always climbed?
pics🤯

all specimens are different, my AF lived on coco and never was interested in climbing.

All convicts are looking to escape.

They can easily sense the air currents when a lid is removed and investigate as my AF Actaeon did last night

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I personally don't like reptisoil, too much mulch on it that makes it loose.

Mine settled once I gave her a nice deep stable burrow, until that she wandered and bulldozed her enclosure all day long. Imho she would take advantage of a nice deep enclosure.

Do you have any other deeper enclosure?
No other enclosure for it at the moment.

pics🤯

all specimens are different, my AF lived on coco and never was interested in climbing.

All convicts are looking to escape.

They can easily sense the air currents when a lid is removed and investigate as my AF Actaeon did last night
I sent them shortly after Dorifto called me out 😂

I guess I'll just see what this one goes through. Maybe it's just a moody teenager right now.

cold blood

Staff member
As long as they are set up without a fall risk (and they are), its not something I would be worried about at all.