G. pulchra anyone?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, I want another one. I've been browsing the web, and have the next few T's lined up, when the money comes in, I'll probably buy a few new tanks, and cages.

P. irminia, H. lividium, OBT, A. seemani (sp?)

However, I have a bit of money saved up, and I would like a new T. I've got my eye set on a G. pulchra. That Jet Black is so sexy. However, after running like a mad man on the web, no one has any for sale, spiderlings, adult, sub-adults, or anything.

I have a few questions...

Why not? Isn't this supposed to be a great starter species considering they're VERY docile, and loving. They also have good eating habits, unlike G. rosea, which are irratic and confuse people (like me). (Mines acting weird, weird, as in normal. Fasting for no reason...) But yeah, why are they so hard to get a hold of?

Second question is; what's the price range I can expect for a sling?

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. pulchra and female...not amazed. I'd like one also but they're out of my price range still.

~Fred

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a juvenile female Grammostola pulchra

They are very nice, beautiful, active, and they don't use to hide too much.
On the other hand, I've never had a "VERY DOCILE" specimen. All the G. pulchra's that I had weren't docile at all. They used to kick hairs and, even worse, try to bite without warn. That's not too bad to me, because I don't use to handle my T's.

I'd recommend you to buy one if you have the opportunity.

Cheers,
Bothrops

Giantsfan24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hate to say it but 235 dollars for a black spider.....hmmmmm. For that much money, try and find a panther chameleon with actual color.

But really, if a black spider is worth that, get it but there are so many BEAUTIFUL species for much less.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
However, I have a bit of money saved up, and I would like a new T. I've got my eye set on a G. pulchra. That Jet Black is so sexy. However, after running like a mad man on the web, no one has any for sale, spiderlings, adult, sub-adults, or anything.

Second question is; what's the price range I can expect for a sling?

If I remember correctly, there are no more wild caughts coming into the country anymore so people now have to rely on captive breeding programs. My understanding is they are easy to breed, but hard to get egg sacs from. It will be some time before they really become common in the pet trade. Those with slings right now have literally years to wait for their babies to grow up and are able to breed. It's up to the people with the few wild caughts already in the country to try to breed them in the mean time.

Average price for slings is around $40-60 for slings up to about 1" in size.

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hate to say it but 235 dollars for a black spider.....hmmmmm. For that much money, try and find a panther chameleon with actual color.

But really, if a black spider is worth that, get it but there are so many BEAUTIFUL species for much less.
I somewhat agree, I think G.Pulchra is overrated. If you're gonna pay that kind of money get an adult female Singapore Blue, atleast they have some color to them....actually I've seen them for pretty cheap at around $150

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I somewhat agree, I think G.Pulchra is overrated. If you're gonna pay that kind of money get an adult female Singapore Blue, atleast they have some color to them....actually I've seen them for pretty cheap at around $150
Are they as docile as the G.pulchras?

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I heard they're very friendly and that they like to leave candies on your pillow while you're sleeping.

No seriously, actually they're quite defensive. But that would be silly to buy a T just because it's really docile.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good luck Duke

I've been looking for a G. Pulchra in Canada for months. No one has them. Even on Avery's site the ones he lists were DOA. If you find one in Canada please give me the heads up

I'll do the same for you !

Last edited:

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got mine from Poland sent in film box with registered airmail (of course as spiderling) 2 years ago .... for grand total $10.00 {D

Attachments

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got mine from Poland sent in film box with registered airmail (of course as spiderling) 2 years ago .... for grand total $10.00 {D

are you serious? Wow lucky!

I need a G.pulchra now!

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There were a couple sacs worth on the market several months ago, but they went really quickly. I wanted one, but hesitated. :wall: Now I'm in the same boat you're in. Everybody wants one. NOBODY has any. Basic economics, I'm afraid. :(

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive had a sling for a while now.taking its sweet time to grow up lol

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I'm Polish; so I'll email a few relatives and see if they can do anything for me...

Second, I have an uncle in S. Africa, see if he can come up with something...

Thirdly, to all those people who keep saying it's boring, and just plain black. That's kind of the point.... :? ;P

It's simply, beautiful in all it's simplicity. As much as I love the exciting colors of all the other species I've seen pictures of, I'm still a huge fan of what many people would call 'dull' black.

That sucks so much that it costs so much, but probably so worth it to see one in person, not to mention own one.

thirtysixwood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a large Female G. pulchra. Shes the best, I really like her and gave a very nice name Lady PandaLu. Shes always out and about, the pic you see is her right now. I paid a very pretty penny for her because I really wanted one... couldnt be happier... She moves around a lot... she climbs... she's actually the first T, that I've ever seen drink water... might I also add, she has an amazing set of fangs, when I say large I mean large, I've even caught her with them just hanging out... its weird... Definately one of the weirdest T's I've had, and I've owned somewhere around 20 or so at a time... Shes at least 7 or 8 years old.
Some of these posts have good points, yes there are other beautiful T's out there, personally, B. Bohemei, or B. Emilia strick my fancy, and of course a Gooty, but not really my type of T.
Your right not a lot of places to get one, but if you have the money like I did, just make an offer on how much your willing to spend for one, and someone will come to you... I paid 450.00 for mine and not ashamed of it at all.
Anyway I guess if you really want one, you'll do what you have to do to get one... I wish I new more about the breeding thing, cause I'd get a male over here pronto for her.
Here is the pic. (of her right now)
View attachment 61133

View attachment 61134

View attachment 61135

Last edited: