G pulchra advice!

ceerichards

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone first time T owner, I got a sweet juvenile G. pulchra two days ago and since then it's been putting in work digging substrate which is nice to see!

However I checked on them before and they have completely dug to the bottom of the enclosure so I can now see gaps in the substrate and can see the acrylic enclosure floor! Does this mean I haven't provided it with enough to dig through? It's blocked off the entrance to its hide with the soil too and I'm just concerned I'm doing something wrong, enclosure is 20x12x12 and there's about 7-8inch substrate, T is 2inch. Sorry if this is normal I'm just concerned

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone first time T owner, I got a sweet juvenile G. pulchra two days ago and since then it's been putting in work digging substrate which is nice to see!

However I checked on them before and they have completely dug to the bottom of the enclosure so I can now see gaps in the substrate and can see the acrylic enclosure floor! Does this mean I haven't provided it with enough to dig through? It's blocked off the entrance to its hide with the soil too and I'm just concerned I'm doing something wrong, enclosure is 20x12x12 and there's about 7-8inch substrate, T is 2inch. Sorry if this is normal I'm just concerned
Id love to see pictures of that enclosure because it sounds massive for a 2 inch tarantula.

But id say the burrowing behavior is normal, my T. albo sealed itself inside her hide for over 2 months.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

You have a 2 inch G. pulchra in a 20x12x12?????

That is way too big for a T that size. Something like a medium Kritter Keeper would be more suitable or something else comparable in size.

Also you want a minimum of 3 inches of substrate more would be nice. Completely normal what it is doing sealing it's burrow and going down.

Provide a water dish, keep it full and overflow the water dish once in a while. Do not over moisturize the substrate.

ceerichards

Arachnopeon
It's 20x12x12 cm not inches I'm sorry about that I get confused with measurements if this changes anything

ceerichards

Arachnopeon
I'll attach a pic hang on! the measurements I gave are in cm not inch lol I'm not used to inch being the norm (I'm in the UK)

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Especially if it's burrowed into the substrate and blocked the entrance to its burrow, it would be best to leave it undisturbed. It might be in premolt.

ceerichards

Arachnopeon
I realised my mistake lol where I work we go by everything in mm so I'm used to that instead of cm and inch then further forgetting inches is the norm :embarrassed::embarrassed:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thats totally fine for a juvie.
Even terrestrial spiders can and will dig a few inches.
Every burrow eventually goes to the bottom. Lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I have Ts in less sub that hit bottom- they adapt.