G.porteri/rosea behaviour

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Does rose hair temperament change depending on environment? I gave her exact environment she requires yet she is skittish and defensive..is this normal?mood swing is something that's not your fault right?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Does rose hair temperament change depending on environment? I gave her exact environment she requires yet she is skittish and defensive..is this normal?
It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the tarantula or the way you're keeping it. While Grammostola rosea and G. porteri are generally docile species, enough defensive individuals turn up that the term "psycho rosie" was coined to describe them.

It's always possible to get an individual that deviates from the usual temperament for that species. Individuals can also deviate from their usual temperament at any time (which is one of the reasons handling is not recommended). Temperament can also change after a molt.

That being said, if you post pictures of your tarantula and your setup, we can make sure there aren't any glaring issues.

Last edited:

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the tarantula or the way you're keeping it. While Grammostola rosea and G. porteri are generally docile species, enough defensive individuals turn up that the term "psycho rosie" was coined to describe them.

It's always possible to get an individual that deviates from the usual temperament for that species. Individuals can also deviate from their usual temperament at any time (which is one of the reasons handling is not recommended). Temperament can also change after a molt.

That being said, if you post pictures of your tarantula and your setup, we can make sure there aren't any glaring issues.
I will but she is such psychopath...I'm afraid if she attack me after I open lid...she is very professional at playing docile but demon in reality

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I will but she is such psychopath...I'm afraid if she attack me after I open lid...she is very professional at playing docile but demon in reality
That is a bad approach for this question. If you are afraid of your own spider, how do you want to care for it?

I don't have a G. porteri/rosea (especially not a "psycho" one), but I do have a Phormictopus sp. "green". And they're known to be a bit "moody" sometimes. While he was in his last, smaller enclosure, he always gave me a threat posture because of the vibrancy of my voice. But I didn't fear him, so I have never had any problems with him.

Don't fear your spider! While you are working in her enclosure, do it with slow and calm movements. Don't blow on her. She won't run after you, they would rather retreat to their hides. Threat postures are mostly a bluff. But if she is in a threat posture, just leave her to calm down, then you can continue your work.

First of all, just shoot some pics from her and the setup, then the community could provide you much more information. ;)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
G porteri and rosea, mostly porteri can be totally bipolar. She may mellow out and she probably will, but there's a chance she may not. Just leave her be for a week or so, go back and try again.

@MGery92, I have a small female A chalcodes that will come out of her hide and run right at a hand. It's her Critter Keeper and she dictates when you may or may not enter. I left my hand in there until I saw the fangs coming out once. No bluff there. Weird thing, when she's out of her enclosure, totally mellow.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
G porteri and rosea, mostly porteri can be totally bipolar. She may mellow out and she probably will, but there's a chance she may not. Just leave her be for a week or so, go back and try again.

@MGery92, I have a small female A chalcodes that will come out of her hide and run right at a hand. It's her Critter Keeper and she dictates when you may or may not enter. I left my hand in there until I saw the fangs coming out once. No bluff there. Weird thing, when she's out of her enclosure, totally mellow.
An A. chalcodes? o_O Now, that is really weird... If it were an OW, it won't be surprising, but it is an NW, and I thought they are docile and calm, beginner spiders. :embarrassed: Anyway, every spider has its own personality, so cautious is always needed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sounds like you are describing the song Jekyll and Hyde from Five Finger Death Punch.

Regarding your Spider - it is fine. Some specimens are more skittish than others of the same species, while others are more defensive, inquisitive, reclusive, etc. Individual temperaments vary.