G. porteri needs humidity... eh?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And here I thought that my arid species were just being a bit dramatic.

Several of my adult arid species were hanging around their water dish this past week - a behavior very indicative of a spider needing more humidity. In particular, I have a G. porteri, G. rosea, B. emilia, B. albopilosum, A. chalcodes, and B. vagans (all adults) that are exhibiting this behavior. Given the species I'm dealing with, I just assumed that it was a quirk of behavior. However, when several species started to display this behavior earlier this week, I decided to try something.

I saturated the substrate around my G. porteri's dish, and sure enough, she went back to her normal behavior. The next day, I did the same thing to the other species I listed and got the same response. Every single one of them just needed a good rain.

I've never once had to add humidity to my G. porteri's enclosure, and I doubt I will ever need to again. But this is a nice anecdote about the "bone dry" suggestions that get thrown around. Sometimes, even spiders from Death Valley need a little humidity :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
It depends on where you live as well, I suppose. I´ve seen the same behaviour of some of my arid species during winter, when the air is awfully dry here.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Of course, you live in a very particular weather environment, that's important.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can't keep up with your avatar changes, Chris. Here I thought that I had another stalker :p
Sure I am one my man, just hiding behind that rock in Death Valley, ready for strike at your "mathematics" T-Shirt ah ah :pompous:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have exactly the opposite of your situation, btw. Here the humidity is always pretty high, even inside houses, therefore I need to be, when watering is concerned, a bit "soft".

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have exactly the opposite of your situation, btw. Here the humidity is always pretty high, even inside houses, therefore I need to be, when watering is concerned, a bit "soft".
I've heard just terrible things about the humidity on The Boot. I grew up in Miami, and let me tell you, I don't miss that humidity.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've heard just terrible things about the humidity on The Boot. I grew up in Miami, and let me tell you, I don't miss that humidity.
The weather here is very different from region to region. In Sicilia island, basically, the weather is just exactly like Tunisia one. Hot, but with that sea breeze, not with an annoying humidity.

Here where I live humidity is high, combined with the hot, terrible. But enter a good thing. The nearby hills with a gentle breeze. A bizarre weather indeed.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I KNEW there was a reason for some of your odd husbandry issues :astronaut::astronaut::astronaut::alien:alien:alien
My G. porteri assumed direct control ages ago. You'll all join us eventually, you just need to see the light. Don't worry, I'll be shipping out slings soon enough :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My G. porteri assumed direct control ages ago. You'll all join us eventually, you just need to see the light. Don't worry, I'll be shipping out slings soon enough :D
Emilia slings? :D