G. portentosa Tiger morph!

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone ever seen this kind of thing???

This is very new to me, i got this from a close friend that helped me out by taking loads of my first roaches and caring for them, either way, I recently got a bunch back(adults now of course, but from same original group) and there were two of these(i got one). Anyone seen this before?

-Eric

Last edited:

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup. I have a whole cage full of ones that look like that. They occasionally pop up in my colony of black G. portentosa, so I have to pull them out to keep the colony black. I'm not sure if they could breed to consistently look like that, but I suspect their offspring eventually go back to looking like normal G. portentosa. They'd make a cool-looking pet hisser for people who want to keep them as pets and not breed them.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, so i guess it's nothing really, ok. I thought it was kinda cool, to bad they don't pass on those traits.

-Eric

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its probably a recessive trait, meaning that if you breed them to each other they probably will pass it on.

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, if you ever want to give some away, it would make for a cool breeding project:)

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
herp13,

if that one in the OP is yours, you could still get a colony that looked like that. it would just take a couple generations.

breed that one with a normal phase. you will end up with bunch of heterozygous nymphs, even though they will all appear normal. but when those nymphs have babies you will end up with about 1/4 of the second generation displaying the tigers stripes.

if you breed a 1st generation nymph to the orginal tigerstripe you will get about 50% tiger stripe.

Last edited: