G. Maule questions

Beastie

Arachnoknight
So we bought a G.Maule sling at the end of June as a gift for our daughter who loves spiders. When we got her she was in the little pill bottle like vial and would never turn down a meal, she also had just recently molted when we bought her. We rehoused her and ever since she has been a terrible eater, she has only eaten a handful of times since July that I know of, she started running away from crickets and would only take they feel I took of the legs first, she doesn't even seem to want those anymore so I bought some very small dubia roaches to try and she hasn't eaten the two that are in her enclosure (the one has been in for about a week and the other a few days because I thought she had eaten the first). She seems plenty plump so I'm guessing I shouldn't be too concerned but I'm a worry wart. I thought she might be premolt because her abdomen looked pretty dark and fat at one point but I haven't witnessed her molting nor seen any exo from her. She's has the leg span maybe as wide as a quarter. Her sub doesn't hold much moisture so I use a syringe every few days to lightly moisten it and she has a water dish. How often should she be molting and is there maybe something I'm doing wrong that may be causing her to not want to eat?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
the prey sounds like its too big. try not to give it more than the size of its body.
could be premolt as well.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
the prey sounds like its too big. try not to give it more than the size of its body.
could be premolt as well.
I give her prey smaller than her body, I'm hoping the cricket eggs they laid in a container I put the females in temporarily so I can give her pinhead because I would like to try something smaller. How long can premolt last?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I give her prey smaller than her body, I'm hoping the cricket eggs they laid in a container I put the females in temporarily so I can give her pinhead because I would like to try something smaller. How long can premolt last?
it depends on the temps and how much you fed her. just leave her with water and wait till she molts. could be a few weeks to a few months.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't leave the roaches in there if she doesn't eat them. Could eat her when she's molting.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also, if you post a pic of the enclosure we can give you some suggestions if anything can be improved

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm hoping the cricket eggs they laid in a container I put the females in temporarily so I can give her pinhead
If you have raised crickets no problem. If you haven't, don't assume they will hatch. They aren't hard to raise at all though. I did it on my first try before I understood much at all (there are people on the forum far more knowledgeable in raising insects than myself).

Alternatively these will scavenge feed, I would try that if you see the abdomen get smaller.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
If you have raised crickets no problem. If you haven't, don't assume they will hatch. They aren't hard to raise at all though. I did it on my first try before I understood much at all (there are people on the forum far more knowledgeable in raising insects than myself).

Alternatively these will scavenge feed, I would try that if you see the abdomen get smaller.
Everytime I put in something prekilled she ignored it completely (or at least it seemed like it), how do I tell if she is eating prekilled/scavenged prey? She seems so plump that I almost wonder if some gnats or something have gotten in and gotten eaten without me seeing it.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It is common for smaller specimens not to web. Also this species is known to fast even when not premoult, although I dont believe sling would fast.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
It is common for smaller specimens not to web. Also this species is known to fast even when not premoult, although I dont believe sling would fast.
She is unlikely to starve herself right? She seems healthy and content otherwise, and she does look plump to me (her abdomen is much wider than her carapace).

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A T will not starve itself. They are instinctive animals and know what they have to do to survive. I would not be quick to worry about arid species like this. It doesnt seem like anything is wrong. If they eat then they eat. If not then just try again in a week or two.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
A T will not starve itself. They are instinctive animals and know what they have to do to survive. I would not be quick to worry about arid species like this. It doesnt seem like anything is wrong. If they eat then they eat. If not then just try again in a week or two.
Thanks for your responses.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Okay so I got some pinheads to try out and put one in, but with them being so small it's hard to keep track of them in the enclosure to see if she's eaten it or not, I know crickets are notorious for eating/hurting T's especially if they go into molt but do I need to take the same precautions with pinheads?