G iheringi and T spinipes are here!!!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Something easily accompished around here- I've misplaced my led magnifier to try and confirm gender. Oh well! :)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^ Getting rehoused shortly after it hardens up and has had it's first meal. Btw, this is the biggest increase in size that any of my t's have shown between instars- with exception maybe of L klugi.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
AgentD, Thanks bro.....and we can channel that!! :clap:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
RIP Theraphosa sp "burgundy"

This is the 3rd attempt in the last 30 minutes trying to write this dang update and being logged off..... without logging off. Why the heck does this happen!?. :mad:

First off, I don't want to hear any anti- handling b.s. as this t was the only t in my collection that is NEVER handled. There was a brief pass to the enclosure when it arrived and an extremely brief time after that. It was kept correctly in terms of housing, humidity, and feeding.

I believe it passed due to complications resulting from an impaction. I spent a good time early this morning carefully and gently cleaning it, then trying to hydrate/revive it after finding it in a deathcurl- all to no avail. I waited several hours of zero movement before freezing. :(

The only good I currently see is that all the others, including G iheringi are doing great!

Here's a pic of the Theraphosa taken moments ago.

001 by trdavis22, on Flickr

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dang Terry! Sorry to hear about the Theraphosa.. :( I was really hoping she grew huge and made a new world record or something for you! :(

She was probably just a weak spider.. :(

Atleast the G. iheringi is doing well & looking awesome! :D She is getting big!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Tommy, Although it appeared healthy, it had the strangest feeding pattern of any of my t's. Although it didn't appear to be by just looking at it, something was certainly wrong. This was noted from the beginning. It would eat a cricket or two, then go for a week refusing, acting lethargic as if in premolt. It actually appeared to darken up on one occasion a few weeks ago but to my knowledge, never molted in my care. I wondered back at that time if it hadn't merely eaten the entire molt, as I didn't see it for a couple of days while in it's hide. However, having the same old baldish look upon emerging told me that was almost definitely not true. The strange eating pattern occurred over and over the entire time I had it

One thing consistent from early on was the abdomen shape. It always looked EXACTLY the same. While it didn't appear misshapen in any way, it looked full and taut. I would look at it ventrally on the brief occasions when seen on the side of the enclosure (which come to think of it, were very rare) and it never previously showed what I found yesterday. Upon finding it in a deathcurl, I gently turned it over. Immediately I noted a whitish spot/scab covering the anal opening and the spinnerets were not visible. I took a q-tip and dabbed it in vegetable oil and carefully rubbed the spot, The spinnerets were free within a few minutes. The "scab" bagan dissolving and slowly came off. However, nothing else came off or out after that. The spider was barely moving when I first found it. I also tried hydrating it with drops from the siphon end of the spray/mist bottle. There was no movement from the mouthparts by that time whatsoever. I put it in an icu. I left it for hours after that and nothing changed so I put it in the freezer.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G iheringi is

Getting bigger. Molted on 1-06-11 :)
005 by trdavis22, on Flickr
I'm about to try for a closer pic of it shortly.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Some shots taken moments ago. Sorry for quality and background. I'm not a photographer..........and the spider could certainly care less. ;)

006 by trdavis22, on Flickr

Less blurry but awful pic nonetheless. The t is beautiful and certainly need some better ones but enough handling for a few weeks.

016 by trdavis22, on Flickr

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Terry,
its absolutely stunning, I just love those, what a great species :worship:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Ana, I firmly agree! It's very easy-going as well. If it turns out male you be sure to be on the lookout for a package. :)

The molt was shredded t the epigastric furrow. There appeared to be a small bump where the spermatheca would be but I couldn't really tell. Although it's fairly large at around 4.5", I'm still wondering (in terms of overall nos of molts) if it is old enough to be reliably sexed this way. This is the 3rd molt in my care. I cannot seem to get upclose pics with this camera. :(

:)

Terry

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Terry,
at this size if you cap it against the glass and take a vent picture, post here should be pretty easy to say what gender that is

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ana, I'll try to get a vent pic in a small clear plastic cup next time around since the enclosure is opaque. :D

On handling- Behaviorally, it doesn't appear to overly resent it except that it doesn't seem to like the touch of skin- lifting it's front legs when in hand. This is the main reason I've only handled it a couple of times. It never ever kicks though- very docile indiv- with every movement ultra-slow-mo. You can gently touch the pedipalps while it sits in the hand. It will lift them and allow you to inspect and even touch the fangs. I won't even attempt this with my G pulchra, except Dozer, who acts (were the combo possible) like part golden retriever, part toad. When I place the iheringi back in the enclosure it is stretched out again moments later. Chillest spider by far in my collect- I mean, with Dozer being ADHD and all. {D