G iheringi and T spinipes are here!!!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joey, Thanks, bro!!................Hey Toni and Armando......:p

{D

Terry

p.s. G iheringi is currently munching another mm crick, which will be enough for at least a two day break! ;P

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Baby blues, blahs, and whatnot................

I gave these two a couple of days break from the last feeding. I recently had a bit of a scare with the Theraphosa spinipes after observing it lethargic, barely moving after touching it as it sat somewhat scrunched by the waterdish. Evidently it was merely resting after exploring because.....................it just took a mf crick with gusto!!.......and the iheringi took another mm crick right out of my fingers.

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Behavioral notes 10-09-10

G. iheringi- appears to be in premolt and now refusing. I just noted the opisthosoma is blackening, strangely moreso on one side. I haven't handled it except right after acquiring. It takes food from my hand but will stand up high with it's butt held high refusing to be nudged into the hand. It's stance is rigid, puffed out, and moves in extremely slow motion during these times. It reminds me a little of my genic in this respect except it stands much higher and does not attempt to kick at all. I'm guessing this is merely a bluff in attempt to make it look larger than it is- I'm heeding and had stopped trying to nudge it after the first couple of attempts. It has not shown another burst of speed since unpacking it- appearing to move even slower than the pulchra, if that is possible..{D

T. sp "spinipes" :eek: NOW it's the fast one. Wow! I have yet to try and handle it. Spending much of it's time in it's hide, I never see it out- even at night. Yesterday after a day's break in feeding, it ran quickly out of the hide as I misted. I reached down near it to check it's reaction and it scrunched up hiding it's prosoma- again, somewhat like my geniculata. I left a cricket in the enclosure. The cricket was only partially eaten with the abdomen ejected from the hide hours later. I've seen this with my other slings but only on rare occasions- usually when they're just entering premolt. That's a wrap! :)

Terry

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I missed this, Terry. Finally.. some pictures! Nice looking T's you've got there.

As you know from my picture thread, I got my G. iheringi today. So happy!

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Thoes iheringi are awesome, may have to save up and get one......after I get my pokies!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I missed this, Terry. Finally.. some pictures! Nice looking T's you've got there.

As you know from my picture thread, I got my G. iheringi today. So happy!
Hey Toni, Thanks to Joey we managed a few of the two. I'll have to jump over and take a look. :)

Thoes iheringi are awesome, may have to save up and get one......after I get my pokies!
Joey, Yep, you should..........along with everyone else that hasn't! :D

Update G iheringi completed a probable upright molt successfully sometime today 10-19-10.- found it's exuvium sitting upright, legs splayed perfectly and slightly bent, looking very natural. Couldn't tell which was which for a brief moment upon opening the enclosure. Looks a bit skinny downstairs as has been refusing for a little better than two weeks. Will remedy that soon! {D

T spinipes- false alarm on premolt and still eating like a champ- out in open more frequently for last week or so. Still runs over or out of hide immediately to investigate when misting.

Ran a couple hundred miles to the coast/ Cameron parish today in search of:
1. Poanes aaroni- found 1 on goldenrod/ Sabine NWR.
2. Euphyes pilatka- 1, also on goldenrod/ ".
3. Panoquina panoquin- 9!!, also on goldenrod "
Additional bonus Leps were Euphyes dion- 3 /Sabine, Ascia monuste- 5/ Peveto/Holleyman sanctuary

Birding slow but lots of Platalea ajaja, other waders and hordes of Cistothorus palustris, a good many platensis at Sabine. A single Zonotrichia leucophrys, and good many Passerculus sandwichensis and Melospiza georgiana. Later, 2 Vermivora ruficapilla and several other warblers at Peveto/Holleyman. Shorebirding was very slow/unproductive. Only Hirundinids of day besides single Hirundo rustica was gp of ~20 Stegidopteryx serripennis. A flyby probable 1st winter Falco peregrinus anatum was and always is an excellent final touch to a day of birding :)

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Dang man sounds like you had a pretty good day!

P.S. Haven't talked to you in a few days, wanted to let you know I sold my camera and am currently trying to decide which one to replace it with. Ordered a Canon T2i then decided it was just too much to spend so cancelled it lol. But as soon as I get whatever new camera I decide on we can have a picture party for your spiders! Leaning towards the new Nikon D3100 so we may can even do a nice HD feeding video for ya!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Terry... Glad to here the little one made it out of the molt.. I always get nervous when they do the upright molt.. It just does not seem...natural.. Cant wait to see some pictures of the little one.. :D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dang man sounds like you had a pretty good day!

P.S. Haven't talked to you in a few days, wanted to let you know I sold my camera and am currently trying to decide which one to replace it with. Ordered a Canon T2i then decided it was just too much to spend so cancelled it lol. But as soon as I get whatever new camera I decide on we can have a picture party for your spiders! Leaning towards the new Nikon D3100 so we may can even do a nice HD feeding video for ya!
Joey, Wow!! New camera, huh? Bet you're anticipating that. :} The t pic party sounds like one heckuva plan and thanks! Maybe we can get one of the iheringi taking a crick from the hand. You da pro! :)

Yesterday was fun! I played scribe as usual, but like doing that. Jeff and Rosemary were the photography pros. We got a tip on the emergence of the skippers the day before so figured we'd make it a Lep/birding bonanza. Wasn't so great for the latter with clear skies and being somewhat windy, though.

Terry... Glad to here the little one made it out of the molt.. I always get nervous when they do the upright molt.. It just does not seem...natural.. Cant wait to see some pictures of the little one.. :D
Tommy, Yep, to the t-initiated, it does seem a little strange but remember the first time many of us saw the usual happening- "Aw crap, I think my spider's sick"{D

There's been quite a few mentioning upright molts lately. It'd be interesting to know whether there might be some chronological timing to higher incidences of upright molts, etc. Maybe not, but there does seem to have been more mention of it. :)

You and me both on the pics!! :D

Terry

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Just ordered the Nikon D3100! Hopefully it'll be here Friday. Unfortunately the wife has to work Friday-Sunday so I'll be feeding bottles and changing diapers instead of taking pictures :rolleyes:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joey, Home alone with Nolan Andrew. Sounds like fun! :D.....uhhh, don't know 'bout the diaper part, though. {D

No hurry at all. Still haven't made it out to find a card reader for the Kodak :eek: - but I have been using it a little more often here and there.

Thanks again, Terry.

p.s. Looked in on Rio the G iheringi just now. It's spread out and at least 2.5" if not a little better- smokin' black legs n' candy-apple-red butt!! {D

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Joey, Home alone with Nolan Andrew. Sounds like fun! :D.....uhhh, don't know 'bout the diaper part, though. {D

No hurry at all. Still haven't made it out to find a card reader for the Kodak :eek: - but I have been using it a little more often here and there.

Thanks again, Terry.

p.s. Looked in on Rio the G iheringi just now. It's spread out and at least 2.5" if not a little better- smokin' black legs n' candy-apple-red butt!! {D
Awesome, can't wait to see it!

This is killing me I just got my emilia, vagans, and OBT and no way to take pics! I'm gonna lose my mind!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Joey, Well, now you got it......and i'll bet you're having some fun!! :D

Update- G iheringi is growing like giant ragweed in June!! I'll bet it has quadrupled overall size and is an inch+ larger in overall dls and right at 3". The opisthosoma is staying fairly slim but the t is really growing.Theraphosa spinipes is in heavy premolt- growing in all dimensions..... in addition to being the proud owner of a big 'ole butt!! {D

Btw, The Dion skippers we found turned out to be bay skippers which are essentially identical, although male bay have narrower stigma on forewing upper surface. Another distinction of the spp is that they're found in brackish environments instead of fresh. This is a fairly recent split as far as taxonomy is concerned. There's a Lep pro currently doing a paper who discovered them earlier on in the same general area. They're a new addition to the existing butterfly list for Louisiana- and another addition to my list. Gotta love them splitters!! :)

Terry

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Definitely loving this new camera, huge improvement over my last one! Can't wait to see that iheringi again.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joey, Glad for you also! She'll be ready when you are...........:)

P.s. Awesome new wheels ya got there!!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A wierd one???

update- well, you can see from my photothread the G iheringi is getting huge- has surpassed the Theraphosa "burgundy" in size- by weight I'm betting it's almost double if not more.

Now for something that just doesn't make sense. You can see from my post on 11-07 that the Theraphosa sp "burgundy" was in premolt. It had refused food for several days. It was notably darkish but not entirely. There was a very notable patina to the abdomen and it had lost most of the hairs there. It was very lethargic and stayed near the waterdish or in the hide. It took another cricket several days ago but then refused again- and still no molt. Now for the last two days it has taken a large cricket each day. Either I completely missed the molt which is EXTREMELY unlikely....or possibly it molted when it remained in the hide for two to three days- then ate the entire molt. Anway, it's never lost wieght and is still very plump and healthy. However, it is growing comparatively slower than the G iheringi. :? Go figure.

Too tired to post about it now but male G pulchra molted yesterday, which under the conditions, also doesn't make any sense. My mf A geniculata also molted today. I was about to snap a pic of her spermatheca when the batt went dead. :confused:

Cheers y'all.

sntcruzan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where are you getting the G.iheringi's at? and how Much $ for each?
I'm looking to trade for a larger Female G.I.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
G iheringi molts 11-29-10

Hi y'all, G iheringi "Rio" molted today. The molt was well over 3". With front leg extended it was 3.25"+. She (< let's hope) gained alot of legspan and is close to 4" now....... Wow!! Again, sorry for the blur. I'm going to quit using the macro function as those shots seem blurriest. :)

G iheringi 11-28-10 002 by trdavis22, on Flickr

Theraphosa sp "burgundy" has yet to molt since it arrived. It's refusing again but not yet darkening. She's a wierd one! :D

Terry

p.s. sorry for the background clutter- just my field notebook from a trip birding today- had first 4 arriving Lapland Longspur of season and 7 Rusty Blackbird, 9 Sprague's Pipit and a few other goodies such as Ross's Goose- the latter slumming with funny ducks (barnyard mallards).