G. iheringi and strange behaviour

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Grammostola iheringi molted a week ago and I offered him a cricket yesterday. However, he just killed it but wouldn't eat. I checked his fangs and they were fine. The cricket is still there next to him.

What's going on?

Edit: Oh, he is about 4 inches now.

Last edited:

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They all vary in the amount of time between a molt and eating. Not to worry.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to know. This is my first Grammostola so I guess I don't know what to expect. My other tarantulas are quite different.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My GBB did that once. I think it was due to the fact that it was a new addition and had been eating something other than B. lats prior to coming here. The next week, it got hungry enough and ate a B. lat.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive noticed with my G.actaeon that she will sometimes hide crickets and snack on them later.its possible that the g.actaen/iheringi in the hobby are the same species or not even the correct species from what ive heard

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive seen some of my T's attack and kill a cricket then will drop it...ill come back 20 mins later to find them munching on it

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my g. rosea does that sometimes. i'll take them out and wait a few days and put more in and she will eat them. who knows why.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its possible that the g.actaen/iheringi in the hobby are the same species or not even the correct species from what ive heard
G. iheringi has longer legs. It's a very leggy species.

I've been told that this G. iheringi is actually G. mollicoma, but it isn't true. I know a guy who owns G. iheringi, G. actaeon and a real G. mollicoma (VERY rare). It looks completely different. He gets his spiders from a reliable dealer in germany. If I remember correctly, Rick West is on our side in this matter. :)

Last edited: