G.aureostriata Question

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do these guys climb? My B.smithi is a ground dweller but loves to explore the walls.

Is that to be expected of Grammostola aureostriata?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exploration is to be expected of all tarantulas. Most will settle down and not explore after they get used to a new enclosure but some just have the need to walk around. At first it will want to climb but after a couple of weeks, it should settle down and should not be a problem. If it continues, You might have something wrong with the cage for it's likeing. Substrate too wet, the cage is parked in the sun, there is no hide. You get the point. It should settle down in time if you've done it right. Hope this helps.

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wanted to be a little more specific to the G.aureostriata. If they like to climb (I haven't noticed this behaviour from the G.aureostriata in it's current enclosure).

The cage set-up will be fine; but there are some opening in the cage I am not too sure about. They are close to the thickness of a Canadian quarter (approx 2mm), only on the very top of the container

I have always had a screen top on my enclosures; this is a snap on lid.

Just don't want to have an escapee.

A side note: Shortly after starting this thread, I went back to check on the little guy, and he had flipped and molted.
The old body looks like a pile of snot, with some distiguisable features (eyes, some legs, carpace). I'm looking forward to him growing up big and strong!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
there are a variety of reasons as to why terrestrials will do this. one major theory is that the substrate might be too moist which G.Aureo's hate so they will naturally try to find a much drier surface. another major one would be that they are just trying to get adjusted to their living space so they will walk all over.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good for you. I just witnessed my first molt yesterday. Really cool.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for people saying that G.Aureos grow slowly, i say "yeah, riiiight." i've had my G.Aureo sling for 5 months roughly and she's molted twice already. she's about 1 1/2" currently and I received her as a 1/2" sling.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to hear. Mine molted just over a week ago and I am looking forward to see her grow. She is about 1in.

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I measured the new leg span of my G.aureostriata and it's 1.75-2.0 cm. I can't get a good measurement of her thickness. Sorry

The air vent space on the new housing I want to use is 2mm wide.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
2mm should be fine. honestly, with my slings' enclosures, i usually just take a hot paper clip (that's been straightened out of course) and melt holes in the lid and a few around the cylindrical shape of the container. usually those are small enough and in a good enough quantity as to where the ventilation will be adequate. a paper clip sized guage should be small enough, but good enough to get the job done and assure small enough space so the T cannot escape.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
for people saying that G.Aureos grow slowly, i say "yeah, riiiight." i've had my G.Aureo sling for 5 months roughly and she's molted twice already. she's about 1 1/2" currently and I received her as a 1/2" sling.
I have had my G. aureo for 5 months as well but from a 1 inch. 4 molts later he is 3 inches !

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G.aureo used to climb her walls a little, but now she usually just sits out in the open. I gave her a hide, and while she used it for a couple of weeks, she decided to remodel recently and ended up burying the hide in the process. She still eats fine, so I guess she just doesn't mind being out in the open.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As a general rule, G. aureos like to be out in the open. That and their coloration makes them good display T's.

Sobrino

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Exploration is to be expected of all tarantulas. Most will settle down and not explore after they get used to a new enclosure but some just have the need to walk around. At first it will want to climb but after a couple of weeks, it should settle down and should not be a problem. If it continues, You might have something wrong with the cage for it's likeing. Substrate too wet, the cage is parked in the sun, there is no hide. You get the point. It should settle down in time if you've done it right. Hope this helps.
word. i acompletely agreee.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's probably a little male.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
there are a variety of reasons as to why terrestrials will do this. one major theory is that the substrate might be too moist which G.Aureo's hate so they will naturally try to find a much drier surface. another major one would be that they are just trying to get adjusted to their living space so they will walk all over.
I agree that Grammostola enjoy dry conditions, but they can adapt...I have two juvies that the previous owner thought were a different species, so were kept very moist - almost wet - and they have developed very well! :D (Still hate their water dish, though!!) {D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree that Grammostola enjoy dry conditions, but they can adapt...I have two juvies that the previous owner thought were a different species, so were kept very moist - almost wet - and they have developed very well! :D (Still hate their water dish, though!!) {D
well of course they can adapt, but i mean, they aren't naturally fit for damp conditions. correct me if i'm wrong, but they are an desert species, yes? i mean, you could say that an A.Avic could adapt to very dry conditions, but that wouldn't work. see what i'm saying?