G.areuostriata questions

rhom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 5 of these guys and i must say there awsome spiders i got them as
1/2'' slings now there hitting the 2'' mark but it seems there all going aboreal on me!. none of the 5 will be on there subtrate i use 100% peat temp is at 76degrees and i lightly mist every 2nd week. and i have them on roaches.

What possibly could be wrong?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Try giving them little bottlecaps of water and stop misting, that might do it. :)

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it could be that you are misting to much. at the 2" mark you should provide a water dish like a 2 liter coke bottle cap. while that is how i have minds but i do not mist but some days he acts aboreal so it could be a normal thing

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Who said something is wrong? No tarantula is 2-d ink blot. They are 3-D animals. They survive in a 3-D world. This is like me saying, those humans they are terrestrial. Why do they aways set on those chairs?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It must really suck in the wild for them, if misting is upsetting them. With rainfall between 900mm to 1600mm it must be just a pain to survive it. What was that other world for Alto Chaco, Oh yea, Humid Chaco, that's right I remember now. Never mind that is more rain then Portland Oregon or Seattle Washington and on the upper end combined.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They may just not like the type of substrate you have them on. Even spiders can be finicky. Try changing one over to something different and see what happens. You may decide to switch the rest over.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try giving them little bottlecaps of water and stop misting, that might do it. :)
I second this, they really like it dry as must grammostolas do, get in with a water bottle cap or gatorade cap and you'll be fine, discontinue the misting and make sure the substrate is bone dry, what kind of substrate are you using? I have a 2inch aureostriata on 100% peat moss 4 inches high in a small KK, sometimes like last night it hangs at the top of the enclosure on the side, it returned down by the morning, it's just how they can be, but please stop the misting and just provide a water source with dry substrate. Good luck!:D

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I second this, they really like it dry as must grammostolas do, get in with a water bottle cap or gatorade cap and you'll be fine, discontinue the misting and make sure the substrate is bone dry
I did neglect to add that this species also has a tendency to bulldoze/flip/bury their bowls. Mine was apparently throwing its bottlecap across the enclosure. {D So I just dump a little water in one corner once a week instead, and it goes to drink from there.

I still get some wall-climbing, but I figure that's the price it pays for being bratty with its dishes. {D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All the G. aureostriata I have raised have abhored moisture. I mist the little ones enough to let them drink once a week or so and let things go dry soon after, the bigger ones just get a water dish/cap and I never mist. My adult male spent his life promptly dumping his water dish as soon as I left the room after Sunday maintenance.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine isn't dish dumping but it's always going up at the top of the enclosure then comes down after a while, it caught a cricket in its burrow/hide and still crawled up top to eat it, makes cleaning easier, but it's a little weird on the staying up top habit..;)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They don't like or need misting, a small water dish is fine. The other thing I've noticed with my juvies and my slings is that they don't seem to know what they are supposed to be. Right now my female juvie B. vagans is hangine upside down from the top of her kk lid. I mentioned to her several times that she is supposed to be a burrower. She does not much care. My B. albo, my G. aureo, one of my juvie G. roseas, and even my P. cancerides, who should mature in a couple of moults from now, hang out on their walls or ceilings. As long as they come down once in a while, eat, drink and seem generally healthy, don't worry to much. They are all individuals.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They don't like or need misting, a small water dish is fine. The other thing I've noticed with my juvies and my slings is that they don't seem to know what they are supposed to be. Right now my female juvie B. vagans is hangine upside down from the top of her kk lid. I mentioned to her several times that she is supposed to be a burrower. She does not much care. My B. albo, my G. aureo, one of my juvie G. roseas, and even my P. cancerides, who should mature in a couple of moults from now, hang out on their walls or ceilings. As long as they come down once in a while, eat, drink and seem generally healthy, don't worry to much. They are all individuals.
Exactly how I see it Mina! My aureostriata does the same, it got settled in the day after I got it and then last week hung up top for 20 hours before coming down, did the same thing yesterday and came down by this morning when i woke up, and it caught a cricket today to eat and climbed up to the top of the Kritter Keeper to finish the prey, like i stated cleaning the remains was nice because it took out the food and trash would be outside the burrow but I guess this one likes to be up high at times, it's now back in the burrow in it's hide, it can't make up it's mind where it will like to be at times..all more cute factor..{D

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine likes to bulldoze too. I recently rehoused in a KK, and gave up with the bottle cap and went to a slightly larger kidney shaped dish, because it would not only throw the bottle cap around, it would bury it. It likes to spend alot of time on one wall of the enclosure, I suspect because it is next to my python's enclosure and it probably likes the heat.

brandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If mine couldn't flip over her water dish she would burry it. But she seems to have no problem with moist substrate. And she loves to climb. So I gave up in the dish and just soak her dirt once a week and she seems quite happy.

prey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
weird

My 3/4" slings climbed quite a bit when I got them about 6 weeks ago, but now they burrow like crazy and never climb anymore. Actually, I've kept them a bit on the moist side because, it seems, I've over-ventilated them and I'm scared of them drying out in just days. I'm about to move them to larger containers with pure Coco-Soft coconut fiber, having heard good things about the mold-repellent tannins purposefully left in that brand. Previously, I've kept slings in a peat/vermic mix, and the small containers want to mold immediately at 79F, even when the humidity is only very temporarily high for the species. Could be a Florida thing. It's a new house I live in but spores abound here (I open windows, and non-sterile substrate has been subjected to goodness knows). Weird thing is: larger, Sterlite boxes with so little ventilation as to keep 80% humidity for H. lividum etc. for weeks before adding water never molder! Weird.
I digress -- point here is I keep my G. aureo slings too moist in peat/vermic and they never climb. Burrow extensively, rather.