G alticeps mating pic...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
1,328
Just got this bad boy from Fedex today and he went right to work. Yeah baby! I haven't heard of too many of these guys being bred so this one got me pretty cranked up.

Phil
 

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
1,328
another view...

Here's one from the side. I've been doing this long enough to know better than to get my hopes up yet but it sure would be cool to get an eggsack from these 2. What surprised me the most was how nicely the male is colored compared to my female but then again I haven't seen her after a molt yet.

Phil
 

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 1, 2002
Messages
1,265
Re: another view...

Originally posted by Phillip
Here's one from the side. I've been doing this long enough to know better than to get my hopes up yet but it sure would be cool to get an eggsack from these 2. What surprised me the most was how nicely the male is colored compared to my female but then again I haven't seen her after a molt yet.



That is what I noticed too. They look quite different. It almost doesnt even look like the same species. EIther way, good luck with the mating.
 

Lantang

Arachnopeon
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
25
Is G.alticeps sexually dimorphic?I notcied that males turn to that "Brazilian Greysmoke" color when there sub-adults, but I have one that is the color of the female in the pic, oh well in either case I got a good deal on him/her , 5'' for $20,
 

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 9, 2002
Messages
1,293
captive breeding

Congratulations on your successful breed, Phil! I hope the eggsac turns out okay for you as we sure could use some more G. alticeps in the world!! :D My best wishes are with you,

Paul
 

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
706
Originally posted by Lantang
Is G.alticeps sexually dimorphic?I notcied that males turn to that "Brazilian Greysmoke" color when there sub-adults, but I have one that is the color of the female in the pic, oh well in either case I got a good deal on him/her , 5'' for $20,

My female is that grey color with the rust fringe hairs after a molt. She gradually fades to a brownish color later in her molt cycle. Good luck with the breeding attempts!

John
 

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 20, 2002
Messages
457
Dear Phil,

I'm glad to see he got there in one piece. That was my first attempt at packing a T. He's a pretty good natured guy, he threw a few hairs at me while I was stuffing him into the deli cup but that was it. And obviously, plane flights don't disturb his sex drive.

As far as I know, no one else has posted a picture of an adult male G. alticeps so I really don't know if this one is a typical example. He *is* very nice looking, pictures don't do him justice, IMO.

Good job, Phil.

Karen N.
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by Phillip
Just got this bad boy from Fedex today and he went right to work. Yeah baby! I haven't heard of too many of these guys being bred so this one got me pretty cranked up.

Phil
Good luck, Phil! It would be nice to see more of this species out there :)

Joy
 

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Messages
47
Awesome Phil. That reminds me. How are those usumbara males i sent ya doing ? Are they lunch yet ?
 

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
1,328
The packing was fine Karen.

For your 1st attempt at packing you did fantastic Karen. He was packed as well as could be done with no worries whatsoever.

And the Usambara males are still doing just fine. Haven't gotten them to get it on yet but I'm hoping to remedy that in the next day or 2. So far they have just wanted to run away but I have seen a sperm web out of one of them day before yesterday so I'm hoping he will settle down and get to it.

Phil
 

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
1,571
Yes, good luck, and nice pictures!
I like to see this species in mating action...because, of course, more of them around wouldn't hurt!

Now...next I want to see are(hmm, are because there are several pics I'm referring to, or is because what spins around in the subconscious is next thing..wel..whatever, really) mating pics of P.Cancerides.
Haven't heard much about them for a while.


...Or Chaetopelma Gracile.......or Phormictopus atrichomatus..
 
Last edited:
Top