fuzzies/pinkies--too much in t diet causes deformities?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never seen a locust for sale here period let alone as a feeder. I don't think PA will allow them since they are an agricultural pest.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Earth Tiger
No offense but it seems that all of you folks
here forget to mention the main reasons for
the moulting problems - age and humidity.
Uusually moulting problems occur if they
are kept too dry. Even if it is given a water
dish, a large adult may still dry out in the
process since the process is longer in adults,
and may take up to a day.

Well, since the T's from arid regeon can molt in dry cages without problem...I've had my biggest Chilean rose molt ( I mean she was huge ) without any complication and only took probably over 40 minutes after she flipped onto her back...there's no reason to suggest that the ones from the tropic can't either. T's use water to seperate the old skin from the new one. The new skin remain soft and pliable and slightly wringle which allows it to wickle out of the old. The process tanning hardens up the new exo...nothing to do with the amount of moisture ( moisture is use to seperate the old exo. from the new not in the tanning process where protein and chitin molecules begin to cross link with each other to make it tough ).

Last edited:

brispofan31

Arachnopeon
My T. Blondi only eats adult mice, and I've never had any problems with her. She totally ignores crickets. Not worth the effort I guess. Also tests have show that some T's have developed rodent specific venum. And mice have much more nutritienal value than crickets. I feed pinkys to the smaller T's and haven't had any problems. The problem is more likely linked to illness, age, or low humidity.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
i ve had problems with superworms, my T's wont eat from forceps, and if not grabbed immediatly, the worm digs underground. is there a good solution to this?
Hi!

In my experience it doesnt matter if they dig down, the T will dig it up if it is hungry. Might be a problem with arboreals or non digging species though.

I wish all arachnoboards users a merry xmas and a happy new year!!!!

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ROAHES!!!!! why didn't i think of that before!!!!!!!

btw vampire u have to hand feed it or it will die

mike

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I, like Joy, have a few large Theraphosas (blondi as well as apophysis) that I feed almost exclusively on rodents. A few of these have been in my care for several years without any problems. In fact, the only times that I recall having problems such as the ones mentioned was with some smaller spiders that were not capable of eating pinkies yet. In these cases I was unable to determine the cause, but they definitely were not pinky related. I do agree however, that a diverse diet would probably be preferable.

John

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Re: pinkies cause deformities?

Originally posted by AlbinoDragon829
Then again when some species of Ts get to a pretty hefty size, I've heard of them actually refusing invert prey.
*nodding* Kaja won't eat crickets any longer. I was thinking of having a roach colony, but was firmly informed I'd be a homeless t keeper, as I'd be on the street..:( =D
Peace, light & eternal love..
Gillian
)0(

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
Aragorn said

Like people from Africa do not digest wheat very well because their bodies are not adapted to digest them, but they digest root vegetable very well because that's what they eat over in Africa...and people in Asia and Africa don't digest milk very well.
Wheat has been in the african diet in arica for a long time bro, they grew millet and various wheat hybrids since the earliest eygptian times, and there are cow culture tribes in africa like the masai where there is actually a milk drinking ritual.

As well as the value placed on cattle/goats and the milk they produced for centuries within various tribes. So thats a bad example for comparison as its inaccurate, and has no basis in reality. This timeline should help you and cover the asians milk, african wheat root milk bs.

Around 15,000 B.P., rising sea levels began to submerge coastal areas

11,000 B.C. - first known evidence of domesticated dog (Middle East)

10,500 B.C. - first known pottery - (Jomon, Japan)

9,000 B.C. - beginnings of farming (Middle East)

8,000 B.C. - evidence of grain storage and processing (Ain Mallaha, Mesopotamia)

7,800 B.C. - first evidence of domestication of emmer wheat (Tell Aswad, Mesopotamia)

7,500 B.C. - evidence of use of domesticated grains (Ali Kosh, Turkey)

7,000/8,000 B.C.

- use of wild rice (Southeast Asia, Southern China, Northern India)
- wild pigs and cattle were domesticated after sheep and goats (Middle East)
7,000 B.C.

- early evidence of fishing communities (Southern Sahara, Africa)
- Chilies and avocados important along with squash, maize, and beans (Mesoamerica)
- small scale cultivation in New Guinea; taro becoming a dietary staple
- management of wild herds of goats ( Beidha, Mesopotamia)
- domestication of goats (Jericho, Mesopotamia)
6,700 B.C. - permanent villages (Zagros Mountains, Turkey)

6,500 B.C.

- grain farming resulting from diffusion into Greece and Balkans (Europe)
-first use of metallurgy (Middle East)
- cultivation of wheat and barley along with use of sheep goats, and cattle (India)
6,000 B.C.

- millet farming (China)
- cattle domesticated (Sahara, Africa)
- wild African yam exploited through vegeculture (Africa)
- cultivation of millet in the Yellow River Valley (China)
- date palm important (southern Mesopotamia)
- villages with domesticated grains, sheep and goats and early pigs (Jarmo, Turkey)
- horse domesticated on the steppes of the Ukraine (Russia)
- domestication of chickens (China)
5,500 B.C. - first pottery (China)

5,000 B.C.

- farming continues to diffuse (Europe)
- cattle herding assumed great importance throughout the Sahara (Africa)
- grain farming (Egypt and eastern Sahara)
- wet rice farming (China)
4,500 B.C.

- copper (Europe)
-megalithic tombs in western Europe
- earliest evidence of maize cultivation (Mesoamerica)
- emmer wheat cross with local goatsface grass to produce bread wheat (India)
4,300 B.C. - cotton cultivation (Mesoamerica)

4,000 B.C.

- climate shift with Sahara becoming a desert
- first temple pyramids (South America)
- introduction of simple ox-drawn plow (Europe and Mesopotamia)
- pottery used and farming villages in the Indus Valley in India
3,500 B.C. - copper metallurgy in southern Asia.

Oh and lest i forget the main source of milk for babies back then were cattle or mom's breast, so i dont think lactose intolerent races would have survived. Researchers in Finland and the US believe they have located the genetic basis for lactose intolerance.

No mutation has ever been found in the gene responsible for lactose breakdown to account for this condition. But when researchers in Los Angeles and Finland looked at a region close to, but outside , the gene they found a mutation in a group of 196 lactose intolerant people living in Finland. They found it in people of African, Asian and European descent.

The fact it's so widespread across ethnic groups suggests this is an ancient mutation, with its roots far back in human history. The researchers wonder whether we were all lactose intolerant at one time, but the emergence of agriculture favoured the emergence of tolerance. So it hits certain people in every group not just asians and africans.lol

As to the fang thing ive only seen it in specimens that bite objects whether through feeding or otherwise, substrate, wood, bits of gravel,cage lid mesh , etc.

Or in specimens with some type of defect of probable genetic origin, ive got various large species that eat nothing but pinks/rats or mice doesnt mattter, and grown mice, long term 2- 15 yrs, over many yrs and many specimens.

No probs no fangs breaking/dropping whatever. So i really doubt its diet related in my experience. But who knows ?

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I usually feed a staple diet of crickets which I buy 100 at a time so they're always on hand. But I do give my larger T's pinkies once every month or so. I just fed my blondi 3 hoppers over a two day span, my parahybana 2 hoppers in 2 days, my H. maculata got a pinkie as did my P. regalis. X-mas dinner for the bigger guys!!

Andy