future communal enclosure suggestions

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
in the somewhat near future I'll be getting a minimum of a 50 gallon or as large as 150 tank and I would like some suggestions of what to put in it here are some of the things I would like in the species.

highly tolerant/communal
fairly common in the hobby
a tolerance to moderate/high humidity
gets no bigger than 3 1/2 inches
and a moderate rate of breeding

and I would like to have it be a multi species tank including the scorpion species ,live plants, maybe a couple species of isopods and if possible have a small roach species that wont breed to quickly the goal of this project is to make a tank that needs as little outside influence as possible.

this is a project I've wanted to do since I first got into the hobby so if there is any other beneficial things you would suggest putting in there let me know.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I wish you the best of luck since multi-species tanks are a major project to get going and 99% of the time they fail for even experienced individuals.

I know you want higher humidity but I would love to see a 150 gallon colony of Centruroides sculpturatus.

I guess you could try Centruroides gracilis.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
thank you for the suggestions and I agree a 150 gallon for a centruroides sculpturatus would be cool.
anyone have else have any suggestions?

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
I believe I read some ware that tityus stigmurus can be kept communally is this true and still looking for more suggestions I'd like to have a few species to choose from.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I believe I read some ware that tityus stigmurus can be kept communally is this true and still looking for more suggestions I'd like to have a few species to choose from.
Personally, C. gracilis is an amazing communal scorp ;) With many different morphs between babies, commonality in the hobby ($20 for a mature pair, not too expensive) and they are the biggest of the genus. That way they could eat the adult roaches and keep populations of feeders down. Given, you may need a little more humidity, but I'm sure there is a system to do that for you :D A naturalistic bark enclosure would look amazing too!

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One thing that needs to be considered is that scorpions are reclusive animals. A happy scorpion is one that is only in the open at night, and possibly not even then. Many burrowing scorpions, including Pandinus, Diplocentrus, Nebo, etc rarely come out of their burrow if they are well taken care of. Add to that the fact that you have a huge enclosure (I'm jealous of that by the way), you have a very good chance of it being seen more as a lifeless terrarium or paludarium (depending on what you put in it). Just be aware of that when selecting the size!

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Tityus Stigmurus is a good species. they like high humidity and are communal as adults but known to kill each other during molts as most scorpions are.
Also I agree with all the comments above me. I Currently keep a communal tank of only 3 adult Heterometrus species and they have all grown to tolerate each other it seems. I keep them well fed.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I would say C.gracilis as they are polymorphic, get to a pretty nice size, and are somewhat communal. I say somewhat because they tend to eat each other during molts so getting adults for the community would be my recommendation. :) Good luck choosing!

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
One thing that needs to be considered is that scorpions are reclusive animals. A happy scorpion is one that is only in the open at night, and possibly not even then. Many burrowing scorpions, including Pandinus, Diplocentrus, Nebo, etc rarely come out of their burrow if they are well taken care of. Add to that the fact that you have a huge enclosure (I'm jealous of that by the way), you have a very good chance of it being seen more as a lifeless terrarium or paludarium (depending on what you put in it). Just be aware of that when selecting the size!
I am aware that scorpions tend to hide a lot but I'm usually lucky when it comes to scorpions being active at night and that works well with me because like scorpions I to become more active at night. To be honest I don't mind if I don't see them that often because the planted tank its self would look nice.

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
Uroctonus mordax would be awesome for that especially with the higher moisture.
I would like to do a uroctonus mordax communal at some point but I can never find any for sale and I don't really have the time to go out hunting for them.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
You could just go Pandinus sp. or Heterometrus sp. too both would make for a great group in a massive enclosure.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Oh just saw you said no bigger than 3 1/2 inches so nevermind on the Pandinus or Heterometrus (though there might be a few smaller Heterometrus sp. You'd still like) maybe Opistophthalmus sp. would be good