Fussy Eaters

spidey0707

Arachnopeon
I have been feeding my T's mostly crickets with an occasional superworm now and then. I am trying to switch over to B. dubias but only a couple of my T's will eat them. The others almost seem grossed out when they see them!

Does anyone have any suggestions for making the transition?

Thanks,
Bob

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of mine switched easily except a B. emilia that is afraid of the B. dubia. I waited almost a month before offering food the last time, and the dubia was eaten. If they are hungry, they will eat. We also tend to feed our animals more often than they need. I know my weekly feeding is probably overkill. My B. emilia could probably go several months and not even show any signs that it had not eaten. As keepers, we tend to panic if an animal misses a feeding, when this is a perfectly normal thing.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. Pulchripes WILL NOT eat the dubias. I tried her on mealworms but she didn't seem interested in those either. She only seems to like the crickets. She could possibly be in pre-molt, but not sure. I got her from madamwolf who warned me she didn't like the roaches so I guess Ts have their preferences also. Although I agree...I'm sure if they're hungry enough they'll eat whatever they get hold of. If they were that picky in the wild they'd starve...lol.

eporter

Arachnopeon
Well, mosquitoes are really picky about who and what they get a blood meal from, I know mosquitoes are not closely related to tarantulas but they are still arthropods....I don't see why tarantulas couldn't be picky as well....

spidey0707

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of your responses. I will keep trying the roaches and hopefully they will eat them.

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
lots of my t's wont touch em either, and the biggest pain is that they are unlikely to find them again, as they burrow instantly and never emerge again. I found an adult male under the water dish of my p. Subfusca the other day, and i know i only ever tried her once with 1, which wasnt very large but had grown a lot while burrowed in her enclosure. She went 'nah' and it ran and hid. They dont bite tho, so they wont do any harm to your t if it does go into hiding.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
most of mine eat the roaches i do have a couple picky eaters i have more issues with picky reptiles than picky spiders though

Rob1985

This user has no status.
the only T's of mine that eats the dubia's is my C.ritae and OBT. The rest eat crickets.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
on a long enough timeline all of mine switched to eating dubias at some point or another, it was mainly an issue of finding nymphs or ones small enough for the T in question.

granted, i switch mine up with waxworms and crickets occasionally, but i really only have had two that refused dubias for something else on a regular basis (A. versi and Euathlus sp. blue).

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well your skeeters are a long way from ohio...cause the ones we breed wildly around all my favorite catfishing holes, will have even the catfish exsanguination before we throw em back in....yep i had to look that word up too...cause i was just gonna say bled out....haha

Well, mosquitoes are really picky about who and what they get a blood meal from, I know mosquitoes are not closely related to tarantulas but they are still arthropods....I don't see why tarantulas couldn't be picky as well....

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

what kinds and sizes of T's do you have? cause most of mine will eat dubia... i try and mainly just use the adult male dubia...and tong feed...or just drop em straight in front of the T

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The ones that dont eat dubia that i have love latts! infact i have not found a T that wont take blatta latteralis