Funny spider in my kitchen ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I love watching true spiders hunt and take down prey. They certainly make use of that webbing, entirely unlike tarantulas. Good catch!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Haha, that is why i let them stay in the house :D
Agreed. If I find a black widow or a brown recluse, they get the boot. Everything else is welcome to stay - especially the ones in the window sill! They keep the flies and earwigs away.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It is most unlikely that i will ever find those here in Denmark.
Don't count on that. Globalization combined with their cosmopolitan habits is spreading them all over the world. Both are being found in expat centers here now, never before recorded, and we had a verified death of a local farmer from a recluse last year. Very likely it is only a matter of time before you get the industrial grade invasive transients like Geometricus into northern Europe.

The problem, as that death, is people aren't prepared and don't recognize the signs and symptoms from these invasive bites. Necrosis and blood toxemia went untreated until too late.

Last edited:

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hadn't seen any true spiders inside my home this Fall, so I bought and introduced a couple to roam free. Here's a picture of one doing its job - They're so helpful to have around! *Pholcus phalangioides and prey* 013a.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love cellar spiders. I've a couple knocking about. Managed to record one feeding too.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hadn't seen any true spiders inside my home this Fall, so I bought and introduced a couple to roam free. Here's a picture of one doing its job - They're so helpful to have around! *Pholcus phalangioides and prey* View attachment 227945
You can buy those? Or let me rephrase that. Do people buy those? I have like fourty of those in my house any given time of year :D
I missed a big opportunity for sales, it seems :p

Edit: just seen your avatar. Talking about a cool spider....do you know its species?

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can buy those? Or let me rephrase that. Do people buy those? I have like fourty of those in my house any given time of year :D
I missed a big opportunity for sales, it seems :p

Edit: just seen your avatar. Talking about a cool spider....do you know its species?
Yes, I lucked out in that a local vendor had some available. I know they're abundant, but I literally had none around my place! The spider in my avatar is a Green Lynx (Peucetia viridans). :)

Yay, basin79, another youtuber to subscribe to! (I already knew about the Original Poster's youtube ;))

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I hadn't seen any true spiders inside my home this Fall, so I bought and introduced a couple to roam free.
You BOUGHT pholcids? People pay for these things? Hole yipes, we're sitting on a gold mine.
For 8 months out of the year every corner or conveniently web-able location has one in it. Always check your dishes before using as they love the drain board.