Funny common names

Sergic

Arachnosquire
What's the funniest or most cringe worthy common name you've seen? I stopped by the only local shop that sells T's today and they have a MM G. rosea labelled as a "desert rose red zebra tarantula". They also mentioned being able to order a "green brush bottle blue orange" :banghead:

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I would like a green brush bottle blue orange, please.

There is a LPS near me that I won't go into anymore because of the care of the animals in the entire place (they are not reptile specific) plus just the pure ignorance they have of the handful of T's there. At this place you can expect "White Striped Tarantula" or "Mexican Red Tarantula" and when you ask them if they know the scientific or latin name they respond with "I am a first year college student I don't know the scientific names for everything lol."

Sergic

Arachnosquire
I would like a green brush bottle blue orange, please.

There is a LPS near me that I won't go into anymore because of the care of the animals in the entire place (they are not reptile specific) plus just the pure ignorance they have of the handful of T's there. At this place you can expect "White Striped Tarantula" or "Mexican Red Tarantula" and when you ask them if they know the scientific or latin name they respond with "I am a first year college student I don't know the scientific names for everything lol."
That's too bad. This is the only non-Petco in my town, so I go there for crickets. Their husbandry is generally ok, but they have a couple Avics in small terrestrial set ups.

I've talked to the owner a few times, and he knows most of the scientific names when asked, but labels the enclosurea with common names. The biggest reason I won't buy another T there (bought my first there before I knew better) is their prices. They have MM G. rosea, LP, and B. vagans that have all been mature for at least 6 months that they want $80 for. And unsexed juvenile B. emilia and B. smithi that they want $150 and $250 for.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
That's too bad.
It really is. And it's a shame because there are a few other stores I have gone to that are further away that I am happy to spend my money at because they take better care of their animals. There are great prices online (and I do most of my buying that way) but I really don't mind spending a little more if it is going to keep a mom & pop store in business. But with the way this place is (seriously, it's dreadful) there is no way I am giving them my money.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
P. irminia aka the Venusian sun tiger. So we have interplanetary T's now I guess? Petco

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As much as I joke around here on a variety of things, I don't see anything funny about common names. They're useless and misleading.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
As much as I joke around here on a variety of things, I don't see anything funny about common names. They're useless and misleading.
That's a good point. At least on this forum, I'd think making light of the more ridiculous names won't do any harm. Experienced keepers will know better, and some of these responses might highlight to new keepers how misleading common names can be.

Outside of AB I completely agree that there is no room for common names.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let's be honest, common names are garbage for fools. A Garbage Pail Kid vintage sticker had more dignity than those. I save only, and I say only, because I tend often to be lazy and because those are somewhat acceptable, 'GBB' and 'OBT'.

The rest? Garbage. Good only for the "Yahoo" of that store selling those heathing/humidity devices.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I never used common names. Only two common names that make a bit of sence are Green Bottle Blue and Orange Bitey Thing because I think most people know what those two are and they are usually used for only one species. People just should start using scientific names from the beginning because it is easy to learn them while learning other things about the species you are interested in.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Let's be honest, common names are garbage for fools. A Garbage Pail Kid vintage sticker had more dignity than those. I save only, and I say only, because I tend often to be lazy and because those are somewhat acceptable, 'GBB' and 'OBT'.

The rest? Garbage. Good only for the "Yahoo" of that store selling those heathing/humidity devices.
Agreed, C. cyaneopubescens is just letter vomit. There is no mistaking GBB or OBT for the correct species.

I couldn't even give a bad example, as I've stopped even taking note of which common names belong to which species. The second that I don't see something in the form of "G. species", I check out. I don't know the common name to the majority of my spiders.

"The common name? Oh, uh... that's a... zebra knee?"

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yes even though I'm new, I've gotten to ask/tell some (not all!) scientific names. Although I may not be able to ID the T, once you guys say the scientific names, I can place them. If I can't then I go on a hunt for info and pics. Repetition helps.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Agreed, C. cyaneopubescens is just letter vomit. There is no mistaking GBB or OBT for the correct species.

I couldn't even give a bad example, as I've stopped even taking note of which common names belong to which species. The second that I don't see something in the form of "G. species", I check out. I don't know the common name to the majority of my spiders.

"The common name? Oh, uh... that's a... zebra knee?"
I agree, but it may just be because I'm much newer to the hobby than many of you, I haven't gotten to the point of frustration with common names you have. That being said, I don't ever use common names, and also don't know the common names for some of my spiders.
My point with this thread was to highlight how ridiculous and utterly unhelpful common names can be. I see now that many of you more experienced users have good reasons to be sick of hearing about common names, no matter the context.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
My lps: "That's a stripe leg!" and every spider on the shelf has a stripe in one color or another. For them, that's not bad. Most of the time they haven't even got a common name for the customer, just stammering and no answer cause all the cages are unmarked and no one bothered to find out what was what.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd almost say Costa Rican Tiger Rump is less confusing to me than Davusternum cyclofasciatum. Lololololololololol jokes.

Rebecca

Arachnopeon
I agree entirely with the sentiments expressed here and in other threads, especially when it comes to selling, or just in discussion in general.

I can read and write the correct names of all of my inverts, but to be honest, I've never heard most of them pronounced and admit I never studied Latin, nor do I have a science background. So when I bring them into other teacher's classrooms for mini-lessons, I don't use scientific names. I do explain that the names I use are "common" names, and discuss the concept of scientific vs common, but with kids this age I'm more focused on trying to explain to them that they should be asking if it's venomous (instead of "Is it poisonous?")

Not to mention, once they reach a certain age, let's just say the minute the words "Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens" are spoken, all they'll hear is "pubescence" and then you've lost them to, well, pubescent giggles. =)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I
the minute the words "Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens" are spoken, all they'll hear is "pubescence" and then you've lost them to, well, pubescent giggles. =)

It's a monotypic genus, so I just say Chromatopelma.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
There are those that outside of the field that find the use of Latin names to seem pretentious. They are incorrect, but the fact remains. My sister seems annoyed when I refer to them in Latin. I asked "Well, would Brazilian Pink Salmon Bird-eater be any easier to remember?" As far as she is concerned, they are all simply tarantulas or spiders. And I guess, in a sense, when you are speaking to somebody outside of the hobby, it isn't all that important. I imagine that some people think that in rattling of the proper names we are picturing ourselves as scientists. When I've encountered a -let's use box turtle as an example - I don't say "Hey, I found a <whatever the Latin name for those is> in the yard today!" So maybe it depends on your interest. A box turtle hobbyist would reply "Wait. An EASTERN box turtle or what? 'Box turtle" doesn't mean much to me."
Common names are pretty useless, though. It may depend on the company you keep, I guess.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
I imagine that some people think that in rattling of the proper names we are picturing ourselves as scientists.
I think you're right. But I find those types of people can be extremely frustrating and often are somewhat proud of being scientifically ignorant. I've found that people, even non-scientists, who are interested in science and generally scientifically literate enjoy learning about the latin names.

I can understand that to a non-hobbyist, common names might be easier to remember at first, but thinking that the use of scientific names is pretentious would seem to me to be a symptom of broader intellectual laziness or outright anti-intellectualism.