Funniest thing you've seen a T do

brokenxspirits

Arachnopeon
The time I caught my G. porteri hanging from the lid like this. I lowered the lid into the enclosure to allow her to get her footing and unhook herself. I'm sure she was stuck but haven't seen it since.

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The time I caught my G. porteri hanging from the lid like this. I lowered the lid into the enclosure to allow her to get her footing and unhook herself. I'm sure she was stuck but haven't seen it since.
That's why you make an acrylic lid and ditch the screen. They can lose legs like that, and depending how far they fall to the substrate and how fat they are, rupture the abdomen.

brokenxspirits

Arachnopeon
That's why you make an acrylic lid and ditch the screen. They can lose legs like that, and depending how far they fall to the substrate and how fat they are, rupture the abdomen.
Where can I get an acrylic lid for her 5 gal? She's been fine in it for the past 8 years but I don't want to take chances.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Well, I bought this ($9.48 shipped):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRUBXKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trimmed it to the right size, put some holes in it for ventilation and to grab it with my fingers by, and now it's this:

Not perfect, but safe and functional. I haven't seen any pre-made lids for a 5.5 gallon, or I might have just bought one. The piece of acrylic I listed comes 12" by 24" so you could trim it for pretty much any tank 10 gallons or under.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Where can I get an acrylic lid for her 5 gal? She's been fine in it for the past 8 years but I don't want to take chances.
If you measure the top, you should be able to go to a home improvement store and have a piece of acrylic cut to spec.

You can then either make a custom lid, or you can just add some ventilation holes to the acrylic and put it beneath the screen.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
If you measure the top, you should be able to go to a home improvement store and have a piece of acrylic cut to spec.

You can then either make a custom lid, or you can just add some ventilation holes to the acrylic and put it beneath the screen.
This is my plan for the future. I have already had to get other pieces cut before and they did well at my local store.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
funniest thing ive seen a T do so far, was a few weeks after getting my A. Chalodes, she was walking around her enclosure and wlked straight up to the side. normally she has a tendency to walk along the walls occasionally, usually when i do something that Bothers her(undig her water dish, clean out her pyramid pile of bolus, walk by the enclosure, live, you know, the annoying stuff haha)
but this time, she walked right up to the enclosure wall, started uo the wall like she was going to climb, and stopped as she had her last 2 legs still barely touching the ground, and just fell very slowly onto her back(so slow it almsot wasnt even a fall. it was as if she was letting go with each leg, one by one)

she sat there on her back like that for a good 30 seconds, then immediately got back onto her feet and threat postured the wall of the enclosure(as if it pushed her or something haha)

she then repeated this about 3 more times(slowly climbing up, very slowly falling back as if in slow motion, laying there, and then threat posturing)

ive never seen a T do this before or After her haha.

The only other truly fully thing ive seen was Between my bearded dragon and my A. Geniculata.
basicly, in the room i have my T's in, while beign a good size room, havign so many large tanks some sit somewhat close together.

So in one corner i have my Beardy in a 40 Gal breeder, and i have a 10 gallon with our(soon to be mature) Male A. Genic. the genic's tank sits on a seperate bookshelf thats slightly higher then the one the beardy is on, so they could only see each other when she was standing fully up against the glass, so see over the substrate. there had never been any issues, until one day, we had rearranged the beardies tank and had put her branch on the side next to the Genics tank without thinking much of it. we came back into the room a few minutes later and saw that the beardie was facing the branch and her beard was noticibly floofed(doing the whole sideways body turn/pancaking that they like to do)
wondering what she was lookign at i looked at the Genics tank and sure enough, there was our Beetlejuice, on the side facing the beardy, in Full threat posture, slapping the ground. and when the beardy would hop into the branch, he would visibly jump in her direction, or charge accross the tank towards her as if he was going to eat her! haha

in the end we realized it was time to move the branch back to the opposite end so they couldnt view each other any further haha. But man he is truly one fearless T.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I am jealous that I did not think of that name first for my geniculata.
lol. i know most people on here dont like naming their T's but its always been one of my favorite things.

also ironic, becuase My LP is named Ungoliant and my B. Albo is named Shelob ;)
my most recent name magic is the O. Phillipinus i picked up today, Named him Traplord.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My G. pulchripes trolling me by never using the hides I provide it with and dumping substrate from the random part burrows it digs in the water dish every chance it gets.

My N. chromatus hanging upside down on the inside of its hide and then pouncing on a cricket that wandered too close.

My L. parahybana attacking the water as I fill her dish up, realising it's not food then running away.

Not a T but here's my scorpion pretending it's a Xenomorph from the Alien films.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Funny hunting story: I have an elderly Avicularia avicularia named Twinkle Toes. (I tried to give her a more dignified name, but my husband kept calling her "Twinkle Toes," and it stuck.) In her cage there are some woody vines that wrap around each other for her to climb on.

Sometimes, she sits on the glass wall at the top, facing down the vine, to hunt. So I place a cricket on the vine and prod it to climb up to her, where she promptly grabs it.

Well, one time, Twinkle Toes was so enthusiastic about grabbing the cricket that she overshot it and was dangling from the vine by one leg -- with the cricket in her mouth. A few seconds later, she pulled herself up onto the vine and began eating the cricket.

Not a bad acrobat for an old lady!

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
After rehousing my GBB into her new enclosure, she decided to attack the fake rubber cactus. At first she was curious and touched it, then she started pulling it with her fangs, and since it was rubber it must have gave some resistance and she immediately went full retard and bit like 6 holes into it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
On Saturday I found my G. pulchripes Regina under the substrate of her enclosure. Upon closer inspection, I realized that she hadn't dug a burrow, she actually just buried herself. She dug down and then pulled the dirt on top of herself and just sat there like that. It was hilarious. I dropped a mealworm above her and she emerged like a demon and crunched it. I have it on video but I don't know how to upload video files, so

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Funny hunting story: I have an elderly Avicularia avicularia named Twinkle Toes. (I tried to give her a more dignified name, but my husband kept calling her "Twinkle Toes," and it stuck.) In her cage there are some woody vines that wrap around each other for her to climb on.

Sometimes, she sits on the glass wall at the top, facing down the vine, to hunt. So I place a cricket on the vine and prod it to climb up to her, where she promptly grabs it.

Well, one time, Twinkle Toes was so enthusiastic about grabbing the cricket that she overshot it and was dangling from the vine by one leg -- with the cricket in her mouth. A few seconds later, she pulled herself up onto the vine and began eating the cricket.

Not a bad acrobat for an old lady!
Well, obviously you should name her Toph
WHAT.gif

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
On Saturday I found my G. pulchripes Regina under the substrate of her enclosure. Upon closer inspection, I realized that she hadn't dug a burrow, she actually just buried herself. She dug down and then pulled the dirt on top of herself and just sat there like that. It was hilarious. I dropped a mealworm above her and she emerged like a demon and crunched it. I have it on video but I don't know how to upload video files, so
You sure about it being a G.pulchripes and not one of these?

boina

Lady of the mites
This is a great thread, I enjoyed reading very much. Unfortunately all my Ts are very serious guys and don't care for jokes at all... or I just have to watch them more closely ;)

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I lmao at one of my new slings this afternoon. I was trying to move it into its container, but was still sitting on the paper towel it was wrapped in. I poked it a little to get it to move and it was posturing at me. It was The funniest thing ever, this T a little bigger than a dime posturing at me to scare me off.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I lmao at one of my new slings this afternoon. I was trying to move it into its container, but was still sitting on the paper towel it was wrapped in. I poked it a little to get it to move and it was posturing at me. It was The funniest thing ever, this T a little bigger than a dime posturing at me to scare me off.
LPs have an attitude. And bad hairs. Don't piss them off as adults XD

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
LPs have an attitude. And bad hairs. Don't piss them off as adults XD
Mine is the only T I've seen kick hairs with both back legs at once, she was so annoyed at me rehousing her that she decided I needed a double dose of them. Luckily for me she was in a bottle when she tried it so I avoided the worst of it, the bottle wasn't so lucky.

Attachments

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Mine is the only T I've seen kick hairs with both back legs at once, she was so annoyed at me rehousing her that she decided I needed a double dose of them. Luckily for me she was in a bottle when she tried it so I avoided the worst of it, the bottle wasn't so lucky.
:astonished:
Looks like me after doing maintenance in my B.smithi enclosure :shifty: