funnel web pics

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
here is some pics of 2 of my atrax robustus one of them is a crazy monster with a leg span of close to 75mm (that is huge for a syd funnel web) and a smaller one that is bout 50mm leg span

hope ya like em, i would guess that not many ppl put up pics of funnelwebs on here :)

cheers
Nathan

Attachments

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Where are you from?

Neat spider and nice pics. I can't have those as I have kids, heck I am not even sure if they are available in the US.

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im from australia victoria, these arnt avalible anywere else in the world ;) hehehehe

thanks

chris_vegas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think Australia prohibits their export, but there's a loophole if it was CB in the US or Canada....I know others have expertise on this matter??? I'd LOVE one of these :drool:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's arguably the worst spider bite,yea?
IIRC yes they are. It's amazing how these spiders look just like dozens of other species of mygalomorph but have that one tiny difference: lethality. If I had the opportunity to keep one I think I'd pass on it, I don't want anything that venomous. (Of course, there was a time I said that about Latrodectus and now I have 3 of them.)

Great looking spidey Nathan, thanks for posting.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Woah that thing is scary!:eek: Are these considered true spiders? because they look like tarantulas, and what would make them different from a tarantula?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They're mygalomorphs, or primitive spiders. Tarantulas, funnel webs, trapdoors, etc are all mygalomorphs. Araneamorphs (sp?) are true spiders such as orb weavers, wolf spiders, etc.

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
funnelwebs and mouse spiders are the only complete black and shiny spider ya can get in aust ;) so they are very different to most of the spiders ya can get here,
thanks for the comments everyone :)

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nathan - thanks for sharing! That is one feisty, fanged beast you have there! I greatly admire them... and pictures are as close for me as I need to be :) LOL I know I can do a search on this question, but I'm going to ask anyway, how long do they live (wild and captivity)?

Cheers - Jeff

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the nice comment,
there isnt much known bout em, unless i hav missed it, i dont know anyone that acurately knows there life span, if i were to hav a educated guess i would say around the same as other mygalomorphs, so 10-15 maybe 20 or so years hahaha, the bigger one i hav i would say be quite old ;)

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was really surprising to find out that these haven't gotten into the worldwide hobby a few years back. They're infamous and you Aussies are still hogging them all.

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol i couldnt imagine the mess that would make, barely anyone over here keeps em, there not everyones cup of tea, and deff not somethin that should be over seas IMO, would be to much trouble, anyways, we cant hav ur bugs!! but ours are awsome ;)

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol i couldnt imagine the mess that would make, barely anyone over here keeps em, there not everyones cup of tea, and deff not somethin that should be over seas IMO, would be to much trouble, anyways, we cant hav ur bugs!! but ours are awsome ;)
Phoneutria spp. and Androctonus spp. are out there. Atrax robustus is bad, but it's not like they're radioactive.

I'm hoping someone does the necessary paperwork at some point to get a few out and breeding somewhere. I wouldn't keep Phoneutria without serious consideration, but Atrax robustus is a web-dweller. I'm much less worried about that.

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
haha yea, ah well, i like all spiders, wether there deadly or not, i dont keep this critters cause there deadly

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Problem with keeping something like that in North America is not just the potency of the venom, but the lack of any medical center on the continent that would know what to do with a bite victim, or have any antivenin....and since antivenins are not cheap, and have a very limited shelf-life, a personal supply is out of the question, unless you have several thousands of dollars to spend.

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
I can see someone smuggling some of these now trying to do a breeding with a T. burgandy. And that's when I'll move to Antartica.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow! What a gorgeous spider :drool:

What is the leg span like on those guys? (I know, I know.. I should Google it lol)

Nathan1234

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehe thanks for the nice comments, i thought, and was told that this sp max out at about 55-65mm, but one of the girls in that pic is pushing 75mm haha she is a monster and a half, there is another sp of funnelweb here in aust, its the northern tree dwelling funnelweb (hadronyche. formidibillis) its ment to get leg span of 100mm+...i am yet to find someone game enough to collect me one lol. but yea thats the only exceptions, most funnelwebs only get to about 55mm-60mm

@Toirtis- i agree 100%, these arnt somethin for the average bug collector, especially since, from wat i know, most of ur Ts that are in ur hobby arnt that defencive and dangerous, not many inverts hav the same attitude as these guys so i could see fws in N america ending VERY badly....no one take offence to that plz lol

cheers
nathan

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe thanks for the nice comments, i thought, and was told that this sp max out at about 55-65mm, but one of the girls in that pic is pushing 75mm haha she is a monster and a half, there is another sp of funnelweb here in aust, its the northern tree dwelling funnelweb (hadronyche. formidibillis) its ment to get leg span of 100mm+...i am yet to find someone game enough to collect me one lol. but yea thats the only exceptions, most funnelwebs only get to about 55mm-60mm

@Toirtis- i agree 100%, these arnt somethin for the average bug collector, especially since, from wat i know, most of ur Ts that are in ur hobby arnt that defencive and dangerous, not many inverts hav the same attitude as these guys so i could see fws in N america ending VERY badly....no one take offence to that plz lol

cheers
nathan
Once they're settled in, what's their behavior like? Females or immatures, anyway.

I'm sure they're very defensive and dangerous, but we don't have a lack of that in our market. We can acquire animals that can kill us in a variety of ways just as effectively.