Funnel web Id

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Probably shouldn’t be holding spiders you’re not sure of.

Last edited:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
If that is indeed an Atrax robust and if it actually decides to inject you with venom, then at least you won't have to worry about catching COVID anymore... ;)

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
First of all, thats not a funnelweb but a curtain web. Im unsure of species but if its a Macrothele of some sp. then what you're holding could have you in a casket with a single bite. Secondly, not sure why you thought of handling it if you thought it was a funnelweb either

basin79

ArachnoGod
I own a few Macrothele sp and there's certainly a resemblance to Macrothele calpeiana. However the chelicerae look too small although that could be just the angle. I would however be very surprised they'd allow themselves to be handled.

He's 1 of my Macrothele calpeiana.
16BA8847-D5CA-49C9-8801-564C20119FF4.jpeg A1DCE53F-3062-4C49-BEBC-069A369A24CC.jpeg 1B117B74-CD7A-4326-B3B3-93DC75A30EAF.jpeg

But as above, it's EXTREMELY STUPID to handle a spider that you haven't correctly identified.

Richard123

Arachnopeon
I own a few Macrothele sp and there's certainly a resemblance to Macrothele calpeiana. However the chelicerae look too small although that could be just the angle. I would however be very surprised they'd allow themselves to be handled.

He's 1 of my Macrothele calpeiana.
View attachment 363335 View attachment 363337 View attachment 363338

But as above, it's EXTREMELY STUPID to handle a spider that you haven't correctly identified.
Yeah, I am pretty sure it's a calpeiana, those are harmless tho...

Btw, how big is yours?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I am pretty sure it's a calpeiana, those are harmless tho...

Btw, how big is yours?
Harmless? They're Macrothele. Whilst not up there with M.gigas you'd not be feeling too good after a bite. My 2 are extremely defensive.

Not sure the actual size of mine. They aren't a large species though. Here's 1 taking on a big morioworm. Moulted since this.

7BC0011D-4D95-4927-8822-64D60CADD5FE.gif

When you compare her with my Macrothele gigas who still has a fair bit of growing to do you can see.

14372748-C22A-44EE-888A-07C04AFB9CB1.gif

Last edited:

Richard123

Arachnopeon
Harmless? They're Macrothele. Whilst not up there with M.gigas you'd not be feeling too good after a bite. My 2 are extremely defensive.

Not sure the actual size of mine. They aren't a large species though. Here's 1 taking on a big morioworm. Moulted since this.

View attachment 363535

When you compare her with my Macrothele gigas who still has a fair bit of growing to do you can see.

View attachment 363537
Those two are beauties, you have a m gigas? that's fking awesome!!!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@basin79 Looking at those excellent pictures and the anatomy is fascinating. The setae on the chelicera, the development, and the apparent evolvement of the mechanism, and coupling all that to those videos of pray capture, it reminded me of a video of a fork life operator in heavy rain in very dim light trying to precision manipulate a large bulky load into position. Made me think of the animals evolution slowly tipping the scales in it's favor.

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 Looking at those excellent pictures and the anatomy is fascinating. The setae on the chelicera, the development, and the apparent evolvement of the mechanism, and coupling all that to those videos of pray capture, it reminded me of a video of a fork life operator in heavy rain in very dim light trying to precision manipulate a large bulky load into position. Made me think of the animals evolution slowly tipping the scales in it's favor.
Small prey or prey that doesn't or can't put up a fight is quickly picked up and carried off. Morioworms though are strong and get tangled up in the webbing so they get bitten multiple times.

It's been a week since my M.gigas moulted. Fingers crossed by this time next week she'll be out and about looking for prey.