Funky Rosea

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup, my rosea decided to molt yesterday.., and boy did she (100% accurately sexed.. :)) change! i knew she was a red phase before the molt, but you all know how they darken, and tend to become more scruffy right before a molt. She's BRIGHT pink/red! beauuuutiful! I have never seen a rosea like her! not on the web, not anywhere! if i only had a digicam :? And she's a rosea if i ever saw one, though her colors are insane :} anyone else got such a FLAMING RED phase g. rosea?

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Rosea molt

Are you SURE you have a Grammastola rosea and NOT a Grammastola cala? The Rose Hair tarantula can and does have some striking colors, as do most tarantulas, after a molt. I share your sentiments, at least aas far as a couple of my Rose Hair tarantulas are concerned - one of my Rose Hair Tarantulas has beautiful colors most of the time, very beautiful Rose Hair, with a metallic pink carapace and deep black underside, indeed a perfect specimen. I did have a Grammastola cala too, yet they have an overall 'RED' look. It's just an observation.

Bert Wright
Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Rosea molt

Originally posted by BertWright
Are you SURE you have a Grammastola rosea and NOT a Grammastola cala? The Rose Hair tarantula can and does have some striking colors, as do most tarantulas, after a molt. I share your sentiments, at least aas far as a couple of my Rose Hair tarantulas are concerned - one of my Rose Hair Tarantulas has beautiful colors most of the time, very beautiful Rose Hair, with a metallic pink carapace and deep black underside, indeed a perfect specimen. I did have a Grammastola cala too, yet they have an overall 'RED' look. It's just an observation.

Bert Wright
Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast
According to the World Spider Catalog, G. cala has been placed in synonymy with G. rosea. Has this changed again? I have a couple of pretty red phase Rose hairs also.

BertWright

Arachnopeon
Rosea or cala

Phrixotrictus, Grammastola, rosea, cala, or spatulata - who knows? I do know that what I called a Grammastola cala, as the breeder identifed, looked very different from my other 5 Rose hairs - no doubt - almost looked like an Irish tarantula if you know what I mean. Seriously, the cala was a bit more leggy and even more 'hairy' than your typical Chilean common tarantula. I'm not an arachnologist, but I can tell a Pepsi from a Coke, the cala being the Pepsi of course. Again, just an observation, my two cents, per se.

Bert

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Phrixotrichus is no longer a valid genus name. Also, cala or spatulata are no longer valid sp. names. I believe it used to be that spatulata referred to the common brownish rosies and cala referred to the red phase rosies. They are all referred to as G. rosea now. The red phase is now just looked at as a a color morph. So, basically your rosie is simply a "Red Phase G. rosea". Hope this helps. :)

BTW, I have a few red phase rosies myself and I couldn't agree with you more. They are absolutely stunning after a molt. The males are unbelieveable when they mature too. I think they are one of the most underrated T's in the hobby myself.

Atrax

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Cowshark
What does an Irish tarantula look like? :?
I assume it's a reference to red hair...

This reminded me of an odd occurence here in Richmond on St. Patrick's day about two years ago. A friend of mine who works in a pet shop had several people calling the store about tarantulas that they had found (in containers) on their front porches that morning! The tarantulas had all been painted green. Apparently, it was somebody's idea of a prank. Whatever they used to paint the spiders must have been non-toxic, because they lived. Although most of the people who recieved the tarantulas opted to keep them and were calling the pet store for care advice, one person brought the spider to the store, and eventually it ended up with me. It was a mature male G. rosea, seemingly none the worse for wear, albiet green. My guess is that they used that green hairspray that's sold at halloween. Wierd.

Wade

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Atrax,

That T is a real looker! I like it.

Wade,

That reminds me of an article I read in Reptiles magazine about a California Kingsnake dyed green. Someone bought it at a flea market. The guess was that it had been soaked in green easter egg dye. After it shed it looked like any normal black and white California Kingsnake. People are strange.

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I assume it's a reference to red hair...
Oh, that makes sense. I'm pretty new so I was wondering if there was an Irish species.:eek:

Man, those poor green Ts. It's a good thing that paint didn't get in their book lungs.

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is it redder than mine? p.s can u borrow a camera from friend or family and get a pic....?

leswatson

Arachnopeon
Nice rosa you have there, Mine molted a few weeks ago, and now looks brilliant, her carapace is a bright pinky colour and the rest of the body is a mixture of reds, pinks and a tint of blue "yr i know that all seams odd"

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the whole G. Cala thing is just an attempt by Petco to sell more spiders. I bought a B. Sabulosum (my first T) there only to later find out that there was nearly no chance that it actually could be identified as anything of the sort, and was most likely some pet-trade hybrid.

Also, can anyone clear up the whole RCF thing? I've heard people say that most rosies that people claim are RCF aren't... that RCF is something that people claim about their rosie when they really mean "it's pretty."

I'd like to know if mine is RCF, 'cause it's awfully pretty.

BTW, my sweet little rosie has turned into a little monster lately. For the longest time she was absolutely docile. Now she kicks hairs or throws a threat display anytime I come near her. It's kinda cute.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys know this thread is 6 years old right?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You guys know this thread is 6 years old right?
LOLOLzz... I was about to post on the G cala vs G rosea thing saying that this was cleared up years ago.

We scream and yell about people using the search function and this is what happens when they do.

Be careful what you wish for cuz you just might get it... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
We scream and yell about people using the search function and this is what happens when they do.
haha, yeah, we tell all the new(ish) people to use the search functions and they (if they were like me at all) are the ones who don't look at the dates!! {D

and you beat me to it Waldo ;)

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOLOLzz... I was about to post on the G cala vs G rosea thing saying that this was cleared up years ago.

Be careful what you wish for cuz you just might get it... :wall: :wall: :wall:
Heh, I've seen this sort of thing happen a few times - I try to make sure to use the search function and check the dates, but accidents happen! :eek:

Still, its not all bad for those of us who are newer to see this sort of thread again. While its true that the G. cala (gala, etc) vs G. rosea thing was cleared up years ago, it seems like many pet shops have not gotten that memo...

All the rosies at our LPS are called G. Gala (used to be labeled G. Cala, so someone made new labels recently....not any better, but new, heh!) So people are likely to run across them labeled as any of those sorts of names at shops, and knowing that they've been resolved (ATM at least :rolleyes: ) as all being forms of G. Rosea might be a helpful thing for people browsing stores.

But yeah, the use of the search function does lead to replies to old threads....heck, even knowing some of the threads I've read are old doesn't stop me from being tempted to reply to some things in them sometimes. So far I've resisted... :D

Nice to know people are using the search function though!!