Fungus gnat infestation

Froggeo

Arachnopeon
I left my tarantula to be petsat by my friend who keeps roaches. The roach tank has had a fungus gnat infestation for a while now, and now they've spread over to my spider enclosure as well :vomit:

they arent doing any harm, but they are really, really annoying and I suppose they could spread to my plants as well... Does anyone here have any experience with getting rid of them? Do I just have to dispose of everything in the terrarium and get new substrate and hides?

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Pics would Def help to id founguse and gnats.
They don't have a fungus & gnat problem they have a fungus gnat problem, they're a common pest species of gnat.

The most agreed upon method of getting rid of them is letting the top of the substrate dry out so the eggs and larvae can't survive. Another thing you could try is setting out blue-light traps and/or a vinegar + dish soap mixture (both outside of the enclosure of course).

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
If it's not a humidity dependent species just let it dry out and the gnats will leave, they require moist soil, if you can't drop the humidity get you a Katchy. It's a small device that sits near your enclosure that catchs and traps fungus gnats. Available on Amazon I beleive

Last edited by a moderator:

Froggeo

Arachnopeon
They don't have a fungus & gnat problem they have a fungus gnat problem, they're a common pest species of gnat.

The most agreed upon method of getting rid of them is letting the top of the substrate dry out so the eggs and larvae can't survive. Another thing you could try is setting out blue-light traps and/or a vinegar + dish soap mixture (both outside of the enclosure of course).
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll try drying the enclosure for a while. I just hope the isopods'll survive

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'll try drying the enclosure for a while. I just hope the isopods'll survive
They will likely burrow down lower in the substrate and survive. However, are the isopods in your tarantula enclosure? If so and if the tarantula can survive it, dry out the entire enclosure, including lower substrate. You do NOT want isopods in with your tarantula as they will eat it when it is moting. It would be easier to replace the substrate/rehouse as it would get rid of both the gnats and isopods. If you want a good alternative to isopods that work as a good clean-up crew then use springtails. They won't eat a molting tarantula and they will clean up just as good, if not better than, isopods.

Froggeo

Arachnopeon
They will likely burrow down lower in the substrate and survive. However, are the isopods in your tarantula enclosure? If so and if the tarantula can survive it, dry out the entire enclosure, including lower substrate. You do NOT want isopods in with your tarantula as they will eat it when it is moting. It would be easier to replace the substrate/rehouse as it would get rid of both the gnats and isopods. If you want a good alternative to isopods that work as a good clean-up crew then use springtails. They won't eat a molting tarantula and they will clean up just as good, if not better than, isopods.
Really? The person I got my spider from suggested both isopods (and springtails) for the enclosure to clean it up, I didn't think they'd be an issue :confused: very bummed to learn this

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Really? The person I got my spider from suggested both isopods (and springtails) for the enclosure to clean it up, I didn't think they'd be an issue :confused: very bummed to learn this
Unfortunately yes, it's a common mistake and many keepers and breeders still use them. There have even been threads on here about someone who's molting tarantula was eaten by isopods.

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately yes, it's a common mistake and many keepers and breeders still use them. There have even been threads on here about someone who's molting tarantula was eaten by isopods.
Tom Moran has a podcast about isopods eating his molting scorpions

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I left my tarantula to be petsat by my friend who keeps roaches. The roach tank has had a fungus gnat infestation for a while now, and now they've spread over to my spider enclosure as well :vomit:

they arent doing any harm, but they are really, really annoying and I suppose they could spread to my plants as well... Does anyone here have any experience with getting rid of them? Do I just have to dispose of everything in the terrarium and get new substrate and hides?
Yep, usually do to dead crickets etc

jc55

Arachnoknight

This may give you some help on how to resolve your problem.