Fun spiders to keep

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I really love other mygalomorphs and was wondering what was peoples favorite families. I want mygalomorphs because I want something that has a pretty long lifespan. What is your favorite mygalomorph family? So far I only kept a macrothele and tarantulas. I love my macrothele. Mouse spiders interest me. Also purseweb spiders I desperately want. The real problem is finding them since there never available.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Calisoga is a pretty cool genus of "false tarantulas". One of the prominent bug retailers has slings for sale currently.

ForTW

Arachnobaron
Ctenidae and Sparassidae.
The Speed, size, shape, colours. Just true Killers. Fun to watch them slowly go for their prey and not leaving them a single chance. Slowly they try to close distance and when they are in striking range it takes the blink of an eye. Perfectly they land in the neck of the prey.
This is what catches me the most.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I really love the American-native non-theraphosid mygalomorphs (Aptostichus, Aliatypus, Apomastus, Bothriocyrtum, Cyclocosmia, Cryptocteniza, Eucteniza, Hebestatis, Myrmekiaphilia, Promyrmekiaphilia, Ummidia, etc.), though due to their burgeoning popularity and the comparative lack of really any efforts to protect their well-being in the wild or their continued viability in the hobby, I am becoming more and more against their distribution to non-breeders, as a number of species, especially many of the Californian species with limited distributions, are threatened by continuing development and I believe collection for really any purpose other than breeding will not help with that.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I really love the American-native non-theraphosid mygalomorphs (Aptostichus, Aliatypus, Apomastus, Bothriocyrtum, Cyclocosmia, Cryptocteniza, Eucteniza, Hebestatis, Myrmekiaphilia, Promyrmekiaphilia, Ummidia, etc.), though due to their burgeoning popularity and the comparative lack of really any efforts to protect their well-being in the wild or their continued viability in the hobby, I am becoming more and more against their distribution to non-breeders, as a number of species, especially many of the Californian species with limited distributions, are threatened by continuing development and I believe collection for really any purpose other than breeding will not help with that.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I think we should establish a captive bred community. America has a lot of really cool spiders. I just don’t think we should constantly take wild caught specimens and instead bread them. I guess other mygalomorph popularity is not really that big since everyone thinks of a tarantula when they think of a pet spider. Sphodros is another cool genus. Another cool family from South America is Actinopus.