Frustrated with A. minatrix

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 5 A. minatrix. They are all about 1.5" or so. One in particular likes to jump out of its container whenever I open it to feed. I have it housed in a plastic jar that use to have cricket food in it.

Stupid thing has decided to web up the top of the jar right at the lid. There is only a tiny opening going down into the jar. There are fake plants just below where it has webbed, but for some reason it likes the lid better.:wall:

This evening was the 2nd time it jumped. I opened the lid just enough to look in and it jumped out. This is proving to be my most difficult T. LOL!

Thankfully, it has not been injured when it jumps. Even though both times it fell about 3 feet onto a hardwood floor. The first time it landed on its back. That really freaked me out!

I guess I'll have to rehouse it into something that doesn't open on the top.:rolleyes:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hehe, sounds like an avic all right. my avic slings all built their web at the highest point in the container. that's why you can simply choose a jar with a deep lid (for a bit of substrate) and turn it upside down (provided it's plastic and you can drill ventilation holes in the sides). cheap and effective, as you open it from below and the sling doesn't get disturbed.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know where you are coming from and I have a suggestion. Go to your local Hobby Store and get the plastic boxes similar to the one in the pic below. They have them in different shapes and sizes. The one in the pic is what I keep Latrodectus spp in. Anyway, drill a large enough hole in the side where you can place a cricket in. You can plug the hole with the cork which prevents escapes. This will keep you from constantly having to open the top.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
My 2 A. minatrix have been the LEAST jumpy of any Avicularia species I've kept, much less nervous than A. versicolor and especially A. laeta (those slings are a handful), and have been more than content to stay in their copiously webbed corners of the containers they're in.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BrianS - Great idea! Thanks! I use those containers for several of my slings, but never thought about doing what you suggested.

morricollins - Yeah, I have 5 of them and only one of them is jumpy. In total I have 12 avics. 5 A. minatrix, 3 A. purpurea, 1 A. versicolor(3 of them matured on me last year), and 3 A. avicularia. Out of all of those this is the only one that has been a pain in the butt. Actually, out of my 50 t's this one is the only one that's been a pain in the butt so far. Although, I like t's that make life interesting.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i never see my minatrix... he webbed up a corner and lives in his little tube of solitude. comes out once a week or so to look around, then disappears again.

he's such a recluse that i fear that i'll fail to notice when he hits maturity.