Fruitfly colony

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Hey! I have a melanogaster fruitfly colony and I bought it stage 3 (producing fruitflies) and I was wondering if it was possible to keep the colony alive. I've had it for 3 weeks and I noticed that there aren't many fruitflies left, only alot of larvaes. I live in a dry environment so I tried spraying water every few days. What should I do to keep it alive?
I had another one die on me a couple months prior so I'm not sure if they require specific needs

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Wait till the larvae hatch then start a new culture. You have to do this about every 10 days to 2 weeks to have a constant supply of ff's. Fruit fly cultures are not an eternal, perpetual thing. They will die out.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Google is your friend here. I use a 32oz deli cup. You have to have ff medium. Which can be purchased online from many vendors or make your own. It's as easy as making the medium, putting some folded coffee filters in it and add fresh adult flies.

Zanaspus

Arachnopeon
You can purchase a medium to start a new colony, or you can do as I used to when I raised them, just use moistened oatmeal or pablum. My experience was always that one winged male would find his way in and rape every wingless female. YMMV

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Hey! I have a melanogaster fruitfly colony and I bought it stage 3 (producing fruitflies) and I was wondering if it was possible to keep the colony alive. I've had it for 3 weeks and I noticed that there aren't many fruitflies left, only alot of larvaes. I live in a dry environment so I tried spraying water every few days. What should I do to keep it alive?
I had another one die on me a couple months prior so I'm not sure if they require specific needs
Eventually it'll get mold, grain mites, or both. Usually you don't wanna keep them over a month. But what you can do is start a new colony from those. I'd look it up on dendroboards. I do it for my dart frogs. It's easy, but I'm still learning the tricks.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Thanks alot everyone! So many helpful comments I'll get to work now😂

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Eventually it'll get mold, grain mites, or both. Usually you don't wanna keep them over a month. But what you can do is start a new colony from those. I'd look it up on dendroboards. I do it for my dart frogs. It's easy, but I'm still learning the tricks.

amazing what searching will do for people, why it’s almost as if the person could have done it themselves. :rofl: