Fruit fly infestation!!

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tiny white bugs all over some cricket remains. Is it mites? Baby crickets? Something else? I quarantined the t in a fresh cage and put the infested cage outside, that was a week ago.

This morning, the cage was filled with flies. I thought they were flightless fruit flies because they were running quite fast but they flew out of the cage in a matter of hours. Anyone else have this problem? This happened to me a year ago actually. Tiny annoying flies, like gnats. I'm almost positive they're fruit flies though, because they infested my bag of bananas not 3 weeks ago. Little buggers! I read online a safe and easy way to get rid of them is to leave out cups of water/juice mixed with oil so they can't escape. So far I've catch a few. T cages are the perfect breeding ground for pests, it's warm, damp and there a prey remains (it's tough to get every single thing out of their cage, i.e., legs and t droppings)

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks and sounds like phorid flys. I real pain, and pretty common. Dry out the enclosure and remove ALL prey remains with 24hrs and this should help.

There are MANY discussions on this issue around the boards. Do a search for " phorid" and I'm sure you'll come up with a 1000 other ways to get rid of the pests.