Fruit fly dispensing

MCC2017

Arachnopeon
Hi, new member here. I am raising about 20 Phidippus slings and was having a hard time dispensing fruit flies without getting them all over. I went on here to see if there were any ideas and after reading a post from Obelisk that mentioned using a vial, I came up with a fairly simple way to dispense 1 or 2 at a time and thought some other folks here may be able to use it. If there is interest, I will make a better picture with instructions. 20170114_223537.jpg 20170114_224025.jpg 20170114_223518.jpg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It seems a little complicated, but whatever works. I just tap the side of the cup containing the fruit flies (to knock them down), then pop off the lid and tap the cup to pour flies into a plastic bag (the same ones we get from the LPS with feeder crickets). Gently flatten the bag out and pour the flies carefully down the side crease of the bag. It's pretty easy to control how many I pour at any one time - but then, I usually want more than one or two anyway.

MCC2017

Arachnopeon
Yeah, tapping the cup is a must, took me longer than it should have to figure that out...I hadn't tried the bag crease trick, kinda like a funnel. My 4 and 8 year olds are feeding the slings, so this makes it easier for them to shoot 1 or 2 flies into each jar containing the babies. Thanks for the reply!

PurplePanther

Arachnopeon
Hi, new member here. I am raising about 20 Phidippus slings and was having a hard time dispensing fruit flies without getting them all over. I went on here to see if there were any ideas and after reading a post from Obelisk that mentioned using a vial, I came up with a fairly simple way to dispense 1 or 2 at a time and thought some other folks here may be able to use it. If there is interest, I will make a better picture with instructions. View attachment 229323 View attachment 229327 View attachment 229328

This looks a good little system....I'm searching the Internet for a fruit fly dispenser ! My B. Smithi sling hasn't eaten since November !

The wolf

Arachnolord
How about a pooter that seems like it could work,i stumbled across this kids toy that works incredibly well "bug vac" it seems silly but it works a charm.