Fruit fly alternatives for jumping spider slings

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Well the fruit fly culture I ordered got lost(ironically enough out of every order that I placed, this is the one I need asap) and although the jumper slings are still in the web they’re beginning to spread out. I have no clue when they’ll be here so I need to find other alternative feeders. What does everyone else use instead of fruit flies? I have little kenyan roaches and red runners but I think either would be too big, and I don’t think jumpers take prekilled anyway

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
do you have any springtails? you can drop them in the web or a piece of prekilled something and try and see if they will feed off it, sometimes they will.

TayznessTarantulas

Arachnopeon
I did order a fruit fly culture from Josh's Frogs and I got it literally the next day.
I received a mantis that came much smaller than described and had to fumble around for flies. 😅

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Injure or prekill newborn little Kenyans and you should be ok. Otherwise if you can get your hands on pinhead crickets those should work too.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Injure or prekill newborn little Kenyans and you should be ok. Otherwise if you can get your hands on pinhead crickets those should work too.
Got it, would maybe chopped up red runners work too? Also when should I remove the slings? They’re still in the web and they’ve all molted and the mother I think is prepping yo make another sac but they’re all still clustered in there

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Got it, would maybe chopped up red runners work too? Also when should I remove the slings? They’re still in the web and they’ve all molted and the mother I think is prepping yo make another sac but they’re all still clustered in there
Chopped up red runners should be alright too. You can remove them once they start emerging from the hammock. Or you can give them a couple days together after that so the weakest individuals get eaten. Not for everyone though, so I totally understand wanting to remove them all as soon as you can.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hatchling/pinhead crickets. I put them in a large tub with paper or egg carton and use a sling pot to catch one. Tip that into the slingpot with a tiny sling in and job done. I don't have jumpers but do have 3 tiny slings at present.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Chopped up red runners should be alright too. You can remove them once they start emerging from the hammock. Or you can give them a couple days together after that so the weakest individuals get eaten. Not for everyone though, so I totally understand wanting to remove them all as soon as you can.
I’ve already got a couple hundred tigrosas so thinning down the herd is a definite plus. I thought jumpers were mostly visual hunters, never thought that they’d go for prekilled