Fruit Flies

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
two things-

1. i've seen a lot of recipes for medium, but i'm wondering what -you- use.

2. can anyone recommend an online seller? the most important quality for me right now is price. :rolleyes:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tneal has a ton of cultures. I use what he uses, instant mash potatoes mixed to a thick paste with water, then made into a slime like paste with applesauce with a dash of bakers yeast. Then I add a few dozen adult flies and I cover the culture with some pantyhose. Days later there are a zillion maggots, and a few more days after that plenty of new adult flies.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tneal has a ton of cultures. I use what he uses, instant mash potatoes mixed to a thick paste with water, then made into a slime like paste with applesauce with a dash of bakers yeast. Then I add a few dozen adult flies and I cover the culture with some pantyhose. Days later there are a zillion maggots, and a few more days after that plenty of new adult flies.
that's basically what i'm trying right now... is that the completed mashed potatoes or just the flakes?
how much is a dash?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is the instant flake stuff. And a dash is just a sprinkle like with salt on the surface. I mix it in after that. Hit up Tneal though and I am sure he can tell you more.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i tried to make me own culture with instant mashed potato mix, and it kept molding. i didn't use baker's yeast though :(

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have lots of fruit fly cultures for sale. If you need some check my add and my reviews here on arachnoboards.

Molding can be halted by using a mold inhibitor. I have that for sale also. Below is my care sheet on making the media.

Making The Fruit Fly Media

The fruit fly media is very easy to make. You will need instant mashed potato flakes, apple sauce, warm water and bakers yeast.

First take the potato flakes and stir in warm water. Stir in enough water so that the flakes are all mixed in. You want this to be very dry. If some of the flakes are still dry this is OK.

Next take the apple sauce and mix some in. You do not want the end result to be runny. This will drown the fly larvae. Too dry and the larvae are unable to bury into it. Now place this media into your culturing container.

The final step is to sprinkle on a few grains of bakers yeast. Do not at too much. Just a few grains of it is plenty. Do not mix this in, leave it on top.

If I can be of any further assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me at Fry01234@aol.com.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks again.

Is the yeast supposed to grow? It smells like... well, fermenting applesauce. :8o

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, flies like to eat yeast. The yeast will slow down the mold infection a little but all cultures will mold eventually. I used to mix potato flakes with water and put it in canning jars, then pressure cook it for an hour. This disinfects the culture, but flies always have bacteria and fungus on them so you should still add yeast and, if you have it, mold inhibitor (methylparaben I think). Most commercial breads have mold inhibitors so maybe try a mix of white bread, potato flakes, and a topping of applesauce/yeast. In the lab, people sometimes use some gelatin and grape juice to make a kind of jello for the larvae to eat. I don't have a recipe for that.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm badly in need of some mold inhibition.

Has anyone else had success with using bread?
How do you mix bread in with the goop?
How can you tell if it contains a mold inhibitor?

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oops... accidental post... ignore this

but pay attention to the one above :)

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tried to make homemade culture with potatoe, it molded and never grew flies. I ended up switching to media from edsflymeat.com and no ;onger have problems.

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you sterilize all your containers and stirring impliments that helps, i have yet to have any mold on me. ive been using potato flakes, a tablespoon of sugar instead of applesauce and pinch of yeast. 3-4 months without mold.