Fruit flies vs prekilled pinhead

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
So today my first online T delivered, chilobrachys so elec blue, I thought my tiniest slings couldn’t get smaller, this thing is very small, couldn’t even hazard a guess as size but 1/2 an inch is being generous. I have flightless fruit flies I bought for a baby death stalker I had who was previously the smallest I had, one day though I put a cricket who was moving extremely slow and didn’t seem like it was going to survive inside and the scorpion after a short time did eat it, my chilobrachys would it benefit more from the fruit flies or prekilled pinheads?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Pinhead crickets or roaches or prekilled cut up meal worms or parts of larger prey. Fruit flies offer very little nutritional value, amd why do you want to mess with the hassle that FFF’s are.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
So today my first online T delivered, chilobrachys so elec blue, I thought my tiniest slings couldn’t get smaller, this thing is very small, couldn’t even hazard a guess as size but 1/2 an inch is being generous. I have flightless fruit flies I bought for a baby death stalker I had who was previously the smallest I had, one day though I put a cricket who was moving extremely slow and didn’t seem like it was going to survive inside and the scorpion after a short time did eat it, my chilobrachys would it benefit more from the fruit flies or prekilled pinheads?
Prekilled pinheads is more efficient for your electric blue than fruit flies. I especially like using flightless fruit flies for the smallest of slings especially those that web extensively and are reluctant eaters. I used fruit flies for my electric blues until they they were 3/4”. Many slings have been raised into healthy specimens with fruit flies, but I think it’s inefficient for the most part. However, it’s very entertaining seeing slings hunt fruit flies. I use fruit flies from time to time just to experience these behaviors. Electric blues will readily take prekilled prey or parts. My specimens were very reluctant at first. It was until they started burrowing and webbing did they consistently accept food. I use mealworms almost exclusively for younger tarantulas as I found them to be the most convenient and effective of all feeders I’ve used. I’m raising lesser mealworms (Buffalo beetles) and experimenting once I have a reliable colony.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Interesting, and the main reason I ask is because I do feel sympathy for my prey items, though their fate is to die, killing them myself feels wrongish. I know it’s for the T’s health but I’m the guy who finds bugs in my house and take them outside, maybe crickets I find that are small enough and seem to be near death might work too then, fruit flies seemed more convenient since they live longer it seems, crickets are very fragile imo, but if the flies have almost no nutritional value I’ll have to do killed crickets.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Crix for me

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've always used pre-killed pinhead lateralis nymphs or pre-killed baby mealworms. Even 0.5cm slings will eat them so I've never seen the need to bother with stuff like fruit flies or bean weevils.