fruit flies not emerging?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i put a few flies in a jar with a apple purre/potato mix with yeast spinkled on top. The flies did well, got planty of maggots, now the maggots have pupated but none have turned into flies yet, how long do i need to wait? Also it seems some of the pupae have slipped down the side of the jars and drowned. Any ideas on what i can do?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey I want to know to, I set up 8 containers I have way way more larva then I thought I would they are all cocooned up now on top on each other in most areas there are 100's of them. But they just climbed out of the goo so how long is the wait?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think its ment to be 7-10days from making a new batch till you have new flies, some of mine have darkened, i think thats them dying, got pics of your containers talkenlate?

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It can take from 7-20 days depending on the mutation. When the pupae start to get darker that means they will soon eclose. Just be patient, it is impossible to mess anything up.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think its ment to be 7-10days from making a new batch till you have new flies, some of mine have darkened, i think thats them dying, got pics of your containers talkenlate?
Ill get pics now.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here you go. My setups have only been made for a week so the adult flies went in I think today is day 7 so I am happy so far, it seems like there are going to be tons of offspring. I have never done this before so it's kinda exciting. I just want to know when to expect the masses! :D

I also noticed they like plastic better then glass. The ones in my glass container stayed on the mash food stuff mostly, some still climbed but not as many as in the plastic containers. Check it out.

Last edited:

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks guys, so even if the pupae are sitting on top on the mash they wont die?

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have never done this before so it's kinda exciting.
See, now, when I said that on another forum I just got crazy looks. {D They wouldn't believe me.

As mentioned on the other fruitfly topic, I've got a couple of cultures going myself. Even the ones that seemed to be going badly spewed out hundreds of maggots (readily taken by young inverts themselves), and now I'm getting hundreds of pupae. Funny thing is, the younger cultures are pupating at the same time as the older cultures.

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's important to watch your temps when breeding fruit flys any thing higher than 28C is deadly to larva and will make the culter crash do to not being albe to produce eggs.

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I culture both species of fruit fly for both resale and my own use. Looking at your container I can see a big problem. You have not added anything for the maggotts to crawl out on. I use crinkled up paper towels. Uther use coffee filters. Just about anything can be used actually.

This stuff gives much more surface area for the flies and maggots to move about on. This increased area gives you tons more space for maggots to crawl out an pupate on. This will give you a much better conversion rate from pupae to adult. This is because when the pupae are top of each other, they smother one another and the ones on the botton die.

Tom

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW this is really interesting. I've never seen Fruit Fly pupae before! Not mention how small they'd be considering their size as adults. And I bet that eggs are even smaller. Any pics of eggs?

Black Widow88

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I culture both species of fruit fly for both resale and my own use. Looking at your container I can see a big problem. You have not added anything for the maggotts to crawl out on. I use crinkled up paper towels. Uther use coffee filters. Just about anything can be used actually.

This stuff gives much more surface area for the flies and maggots to move about on. This increased area gives you tons more space for maggots to crawl out an pupate on. This will give you a much better conversion rate from pupae to adult. This is because when the pupae are top of each other, they smother one another and the ones on the botton die.

Tom
I tried what you are saying in another setup I have quite a few going and none of the maggots crawled up on it. They chose to climb the sides and pupate. Ether way I think I am going to have plenty of offspring hatching out, I have 16 cultures going now. I am starting a bunch more tonight and the next few days. I have almost 2500 sling mouths to feed soon so I better stay on it! {D
But I also have great aphid cultures going as well and they are thriving, so I have backup. They are actually the primary and the fruitflies are backup.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i tried paper but it just got soggy and was useless, i made another culture 2 days ago and use some cotton wool insted. Do any of you guys do normal fruit flies or only vestigial winged?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine are all hatching now I have a zillion flies it seems like. Start to finish that was 9 days I think. Pretty quick {D