Fruit Beetle Larvae - food?

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
So, i may have just impulse bought some Fruit Beetle Larvae... hear me out

I have been wanting to get some of Fruit beetles for a while now, so while my purchase to day was impulsive, I'm not unready for these new arrivals, just a little lost as I wasn't expecting to leap straight into full larvae raising...

I have a spare tank that is set up and waiting for inhabitants. I just need to edit the set up a little (planning to remove the loose logs and twigs as it was originally set up for millipedes) and it will be good to go for the new inhabitants. In my folly, I have entirely overlooked on what I will need to feed these bizarre beasties. As the name suggests, I am going to presume I am able to feed them small amounts of fruit and veg while they are in their Larvae stage. What other food should I be introducing into their soil substrate in order for them to have the best chance of survival? I have found online that wood/bark is a good idea and I have plenty of bark for my various other critters, just want to check general opinions on the topic before I start mixing bark into their currently plain soil substrate.

I have also seen mention of something called 'beetle jelly' can anyone enlighten me on what this is? I have had a look in our local reptile stores but had no luck finding something called that.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
I've been doing a bit of research online and many sources are suggesting a light source for fruit beetles. I had not intially been planning for this so my grubs are in what is essentially an old fish tank, with some cling film over the top (with air holes don't worry) to keep humidity and temperature up. Is it worth me investing in some sort of light system for them? if so, any recommendations?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Are you referring to a Cotinis species beetle or something else? "Fruit beetle" may refer to a number of different species with different dietary needs. Your larvae's survival will depend on you knowing which species they are.

That said, most of the beetle larvae that might have that common name will need decomposing plant material to eat. Compost, basically, but the specific mix of materials will depend on the species. Larvae will not eat beetle jelly or fresh fruit. They spend their larval stage underground. The beetle jelly and fresh fruit will be for after they eclose. The fruit jellies they make for reptiles is the same as what your adult beetles will eat, but you can also just give them fresh soft fruit.

Don’t beetle larvae need flake soil for food?
hashtag NotAllBeetleLarvae

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I have a substrate mix picture. The beetle jelly is fruit that is mixed with a powder to make a jello type food. You should provide fruit like squash, banana, and strawberry. Do you mean African sun/ fruit beetles, these are a common in UK.

Attachments

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Are you referring to a Cotinis species beetle or something else? "Fruit beetle" may refer to a number of different species with different dietary needs. Your larvae's survival will depend on you knowing which species they are.

That said, most of the beetle larvae that might have that common name will need decomposing plant material to eat. Compost, basically, but the specific mix of materials will depend on the species. Larvae will not eat beetle jelly or fresh fruit. They spend their larval stage underground. The beetle jelly and fresh fruit will be for after they eclose. The fruit jellies they make for reptiles is the same as what your adult beetles will eat, but you can also just give them fresh soft fruit.

hashtag NotAllBeetleLarvae
I think they're sun beetles. Unfortunately they are listed as lizard food so I don't have a specific species name ;.; We'll find out! I've mixed bark and some wood into the substrate so I'm hoping that'll make them happy.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
I have a substrate mix picture. The beetle jelly is fruit that is mixed with a powder to make a jello type food. You should provide fruit like squash, banana, and strawberry. Do you mean African sun/ fruit beetles, these are a common in UK.
I don't know the species just yet unfortunately. They're sold as lizard food so no name is given asaid from fruit. I believe they're sun beetles though. Thank you for this sheet it's very informative

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
If it's Pachnoda marginata then you're going to need to keep them in a mix of soil/peat, well-rotted wood, and organic compost. You can make your own beetle-friendly compost pretty easily with a bit of lead time, but it sounds like you're expecting these soon, so you can just mix in some decaying leaves and some smashed-up dry cat food or fish flakes for protein (or yeast if you happen to have some) with your rotting wood and soil/peat mixture. Ideally the compost would have rotting fruit material in it too but I don't think you'll have time to get that to the right decay level and you don't want to be mixing the substrate after the larvae are in there. They'll love any kind of soft overripe fruit once they eclose.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
If it's Pachnoda marginata then you're going to need to keep them in a mix of soil/peat, well-rotted wood, and organic compost. You can make your own beetle-friendly compost pretty easily with a bit of lead time, but it sounds like you're expecting these soon, so you can just mix in some decaying leaves and some smashed-up dry cat food or fish flakes for protein (or yeast if you happen to have some) with your rotting wood and soil/peat mixture. Ideally the compost would have rotting fruit material in it too but I don't think you'll have time to get that to the right decay level and you don't want to be mixing the substrate after the larvae are in there. They'll love any kind of soft overripe fruit once they eclose.
They're already home and in the substrate now. I'm going to add some leaves in a few days time, decided to leave them to it for a little to minimise disturbance. Substrate contains about 40% bark and wood, 40% potting soil and then the rest is the left over 'tortoise soil' I use for my Millipedes. I've mixed in some dampened fish pellets the only one I could see has now gone so I'm going to presume it went down a treat. Seen them a few times coming past the front of the tank do presuming all going well so far 🤞 hopefully we'll find out in the near future!

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
What type of bark and wood did you use?
A mixture.
Some was from my substrate bark which my Millipedes happily eat so I figured, probably ok! (Correct me if I'm wrong please!!) Some is externally collected wood (again a mixture as it's from local woodland). And some is left over from a flora decoration bundle from the spider shop.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
If you meant orchid bark, that’s not safe because it is a soft wood. Try to get oak or beech
it's fir bark is that the same thing? I've never heard of that being an issue with insects and my millipedes happily munch on it. Planning to head out asap to collect some more from the woods near me anyway so if that stuff is not ideal i'll make sure to collect hardwood and replace it all.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
any softwood is not safe for beetles or millipedes. It is ok for isopods but still recommended to keep hardwood leaves and some wood chunks.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
any softwood is not safe for beetles or millipedes. It is ok for isopods but still recommended to keep hardwood leaves and some wood chunks.
I had no clue, my Millipedes have been munching away on it for months now as I was told it was better than coconut fibre. I'll get that changed. Heading into the woods tonight so I'll see what I can find

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Oak and maple are always safe bets, and often easy to find (and identify). Beech, ash, chestnut, etc are also pretty common and safe.

Pigeon

Arachnosquire
Oak and maple are always safe bets, and often easy to find (and identify). Beech, ash, chestnut, etc are also pretty common and safe.
managed to find a good amount of oak leaves and what i think is beech and oak wood. all seems to be going well :D