Frozen web. Is it possible?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi y'all.

So, a friend of mine sent me this video asking if this is fake or real.

Anyone has ever seen something like this?

Tia

View attachment 354821
To me it looks fake just because of the way the frost has formed. But if the web was full of dew and then it froze I'd imagine it would look like that as the water crystallised and expanded.

*Edit - expanded

Last edited:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
To me it looks fake just because of the way the frost has formed. But if the web was full of dew and then it froze I'd imagine it would look like that as the water crystallised and expended.
That's what I thought too. But still, imo, is fake.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
It’s real. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Not to that extreme. But have seen webs pretty heavily frozen.

Last edited:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
It’s real. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Not to that extreme. But have seen webs pretty heavily frozen.
Nice to know man. But the ones you saw looked like the one in the video, but not that heavy? Or it wasnt near close to the one in the video?

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Could it have been frozen and then dusted with snow or sleet?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
In my experience, they are normally frozen due to freezing fog. As spiders usually wont be out during winter. And there webs are usually gone by then. When I’ve seen it, it’s usually in the months of October or early November. Types of orb weaver spiders here in central Oregon. I’m not saying the one in the video is 100% real, but I’m not ruling it out based off what I’ve seen.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Until a person has seen the effects of freezing fog, rime ice, and how it forms the phenomenon would easily be taken as a fake, a CGI video or something similar. Just visualize in your mind being in a thick fog, everything getting dripping damp from it in the span of a minute or two, then think of that fog in a breeze or wind, and the temperature low enough to freeze that moisture into frost the moment it touches an object. Imagine small twigs on branches of trees building up this frost and ice so fast the weight snaps off the twigs. This phenomenon usually happens over a very short period of time, sometimes as short as a few seconds. Exposed bare skin can get frostbite within a couple of minutes, even just a few seconds.
These fogs rarely last more than a few minutes as the moisture won't stay airborne.

Last edited:

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Until a person has seen the effects of freezing fog, rime ice, and how it forms the phenomenon would easily be taken as a fake, a CGI video or something similar. Just visualize in your mind being in a thick fog, everything getting dripping damp from it in the span of a minute or two, then think of that fog in a breeze or wind, and the temperature low enough to freeze that moisture into frost the moment it touches an object. Imagine small twigs on branches of trees building up this frost and ice so fast the weight snaps off the twigs. This phenomenon usually happens over a very short period of time, sometimes as short as a few seconds. Exposed bare skin can get frostbite within a couple of minutes, even just a few seconds.
These fogs rarely last more than a few minutes as the moisture won't stay airborne.

@The Snark , not to be snarky, but where exactly in SE Asia are you from that you have experienced freezing fog? :wacky:

The Snark

Old Timer
@DaveM Where did you get the impression I was born, raised and lived my entire life in S.E. Asia?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
OK, @The Snark , if you're going to be mysterious about your origins, then that can be your little secret.
I will instead assert this: spider webs covered in frost would melt immediately near a dumpster fire. 👍

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
OK, @The Snark , if you're going to mysterious about your origins, then that can be your little secret.
Mysterious... to me too. Simple. I'm 1/2 native 'amrikan', 1/2 swede. Over a half dozen degrees and certificates, about 10 careers, forced into retirement, retreated to a third world country donating my expertise here and there, and now watch the world go by. My experiences with freezing fog are nearly all related to being a long line truck driver (Peterbilt) for a year. It also involved a 1972 Volvo station wagon and a filing cabinet in an office that was opened only 2 or 3 days a week.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Mysterious... to me too. Simple. I'm 1/2 native 'amrikan', 1/2 swede. Over a half dozen degrees and certificates, about 10 careers, forced into retirement, retreated to a third world country donating my expertise here and there, and now watch the world go by. My experiences with freezing fog are nearly all related to being a long line truck driver (Peterbilt) for a year. It also involved a 1972 Volvo station wagon and a filing cabinet in an office that was opened only 2 or 3 days a week.
You've got a lot of attitude, @The Snark , anyone ever tell you that? Never a straight-forward answer with you. In final consideration... I like that.
I'm 1/128
th Native 'Amerikansk', studied for a year in Sweden, survived a car accident with a Peterbuilt truck that would have wiped out my birth family except for my mother's steel-reinforced 1970-something Volvo station wagon.
Maybe you're OK after all. Your answers and opinions about freezing fog, rime ice, and spider webs are accepted. 👍

The Snark

Old Timer
survived a car accident with a Peterbuilt truck that would have wiped out my birth family except for my mother's steel-reinforced 1970-something Volvo station wagon.
WHEW! I'm glad it (sounded like) a tragedy was avoided. I mentally, automatically, combine the several hundred accident scenes I have been on with my science classes on inertia and kinetic energy of a big rig. In Fezziks immortal words, the will be no survivors. Had a loose bolt do a high speed head on with a loaded concrete mixer here a while ago. Impact was so powerful it pushed the chassis out from under the cab and barrel which of course came down on the car. :yuck:
I've had several incidents involving rime and black ice. Rather not take a stroll down those memory lanes.
BTW, me: 40 years in and out of emergency services, fire, paramed and cop.