Frozen eggs for birds & dogs

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
If you feed alot of boiled eggs to your birds (my dogs eat raw so no cooked for them) like I do, sometimes I cant get them cooked up as fast as I need to before they spoil. So I take the eggs & break them open into a large ice cube tray, each broken egg fits perfectly inside of one ice cube hole. I will take the egg shells, wash them out & put them in the oven to cook the leftover egg on them & then place them in a bag in the freezer. (Sometimes I give the bag to my 6 year old daughter & she smashes them beyond recognition so it saves me from having to do it when I take them out)When the eggs are frozen I will take them out of the ice cube trays & put them in a ziploc, placing them back in the freezer again. When I need eggs for the birds, I will take out what I need, let them thaw, cook them up & place some of the egg shell in with them & there you go! For birds that are especially difficult transition from seed feeders, I will mix in some Harrisons pellets & a little honey in with the cooked egg. For the older birds or finches, this is great. I also use this same method with milk or whipping cream for use for us humans here at home when I only need a few tablespoons of liquid. Place it in ice cube trays & freeze. I have also done it for pedialyte for the rehydration formulas for wildlife. Kim

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
So, egg is a good diet for seed feeders? I would think there would be a lack of fibres in that diet. But maybe you don't exclusively feed eggs then, or?

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
There are very few exotic birds that are natural seed eaters in the wild. Seed is just fat & carbs, hardly a diet that any species of animal would rely on to breed, raise babies & live on.

We use the eggs & shells for protein & calcium. Fruits, vegis & Harrisons pellets are what we feed our birds. Every single bite they eat is nutritious so they dont need to eat tons of seed to sustain life. Almost all of the birds we have come in are "seed junkies". Converting them over to a whole diet is not hard & is in the best interest of their health. There are several diseases related to seed only diets, one being Fatty Liver Disease where the birds will get large fat tumors on the outside of their organs, shutting them down after time. Kim