Frozen Crickets

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Everyone,
How long should I stick a cricket in the freezer for if it's going to be a portion for my s'ling? if i have to cut up a cricket with my exacto knife, i don't want the ugly thing jumping away on me. should i stick them in for two minutes, two hours, or do i just stick them in, and take them out when needed?
I hate crickets,
The Rookie

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For mine I just crush the head and then throw it in for the sling. They sit and eat away at it until its gone.

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it depends if you want the cricket to wake back up again. leave it in for a few minutes to knock it out, but if you want them dead just leave them in there until you need them.
of course if you just knock them out then chop them up they most likely won't wake up, but i have seen headless crickets running around a tank and pieces still wiggling.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Even worse are grasshopper legs... I've seen those kick for a long time after separation from the grasshopper... creepy...

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
why does the cricket have to be dead to give it to a sling ??
Grass hoppers are cool, they crunch more. And they are pretty. Shame to have to feed em to my Ts.

Can you feed a t a kadydid or should I avoid them because they are bright ??

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
spider_savior-

a cricket doesn't have to be dead to feed to a sling, it just has to be small enough for the sling to handle. but since it is difficult to get enough small crickets to sustain a sling it is easier just to use a larger one and cut it into pieces for it. a sling will happily eat the hind leg of a larger cricket while the rest of the cricket goes to another t. another issue is that slings molt more often and you wouldn't want any crickets to be the ones having the meal.

you can feed katydids to your t, you may want to remove it's hind legs to prevent it from jumping around.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SPIDER SAVIOR: Where do you get Katydids in BC? I have been looking everywhere for some of those. TOnight I fed a wolf spider to one of my spiders. It was great