Front two legs stuck in molt

FADELS

Arachnosquire
I recently posted an update on my GBB sling in another thread saying that it had molted. It took me until now to realize that my babies fromt two legs are stuck in the molt. At first I thought it was just carrying its molt around but this morning as I witnessed it crawling around I saw that its legs are indeed stuck. Everything else is free. What can I do? Can it eat like this? Will it die? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, this is my first molt. 20200704_102310.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You can try and use a wet q-tip to try and assist on getting the rest of its two front legs out or it will self-amputate the stuck legs itself and regenerate them the next molt. As long as everything else molted out fine the legs are the least worrisome things in regards to stuck or incomplete molts.

FADELS

Arachnosquire
You can try and use a wet q-tip to try and assist on getting the rest of its two front legs out or it will self-amputate the stuck legs itself and regenerate them the next molt. As long as everything else molted out fine the legs are the least worrisome things in regards to stuck or incomplete molts.
I think i will give it the rest of the day and try a qtip tonight, unless you think I should do this now. Everything else is out fine. I was so excited when I saw that it had molted and now I feel devastated. I think the molt has already hardened but I didnt touch or mess with it to find out

Its free, but I think i really stressed it out because it just used my help to rip the arms off

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Its free, but I think i really stressed it out because it just used my help to rip the arms off
It'll recover the the lost legs its next molt and update us if something goes wrong and we all will try to help. Lost legs will usually stop bleeding as tarantulas can stop the flow of fluids leaking from where they lost their legs.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If the legs were truly stuck, that was the best outcome. In a few more molts, you won't even be able to tell that its legs were ever missing.

My Phormictopus sp. "south Hispaniola" was missing a leg when I bought it, and it subsequently lost a second leg.

This is how it looked after the next molt. You can see that the regenerated legs on its right sight are translucent (because it had just finished molting) and thinner than the other legs.

Here those same legs have hardened up, but they are still thinner and not the same color.

Here is how it looked after a second molt.

Two years after the accidental amputation.