From B Lateralis nymphs to B. Lateralis colony?

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
hi! so a package of 150 pcs. B. Lateralis nymphs just arrived today. It is mainly for food of my B. Smithi. I've already moved them in their enclosure with a moist cocopeat, and other hides as well. i am just wondering if nymphs like these can grow into a functioning and stable colony. And if so what do i have to do so I can transform them into a colony? View attachment 238879 View attachment 238880 (planning into rehousing them into a bigger enclosure after i have gathered proper materials)
Note* This is my first time getting and managing B. Lateralis as I am new to the Ts hobby
THANKS!!

Jason B

Arachnosquire
If you wanna turn those into a colony your gonna need something a bit bigger to store those in. Think like a bigger storage tote with alot of ventilation. Lateralis are fairly simple to reproduce. But I'd think that container you got them in is gonna go bad (mold and such) real quick with its small size and the number of roaches you got in there.

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
Oh Thanks How about a 12x8 inches aquarium tank? i will seal it with a screen cover. Will that be enough for good ventillation? And how about water? How would i set up their hydration? Thanks again!

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I mean if thats the biggest you got right now that will work.. But i'm meaning something along this lines https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-18-Gallon-Tote-Box-Steel-Available-in-Case-of-8-or-Single-Unit/10401037 Then add ventilation holes along the top lid and sides to create cross ventilation, smaller holes as well lat nymphs are on the smaller side and I'm pretty sure any escapes would survive year long in your location. I also think with your natural humidity you won't have to worry to much about humidity, I never did here. As far as water sources go you have quite a few options, I like water crystals, their cheap and take very little time. They can also get moisture from produce if you choose to add some of that to your diet. There are also products like this available (but they will need cleaned from time to time).
Now the reason I liked the tote above is cause its colored, these are roaches and they like it dark, but I've kept them in semi transparent containers with no issues as well. keep them in the 80s with some damp sub and their population will explode rather quickly once you get some adults once you've hit this explosion your gonna need something else to feed them all too.

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
I mean if thats the biggest you got right now that will work.. But i'm meaning something along this lines https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-18-Gallon-Tote-Box-Steel-Available-in-Case-of-8-or-Single-Unit/10401037 Then add ventilation holes along the top lid and sides to create cross ventilation, smaller holes as well lat nymphs are on the smaller side and I'm pretty sure any escapes would survive year long in your location. I also think with your natural humidity you won't have to worry to much about humidity, I never did here. As far as water sources go you have quite a few options, I like water crystals, their cheap and take very little time. They can also get moisture from produce if you choose to add some of that to your diet. There are also products like this available (but they will need cleaned from time to time).
Now the reason I liked the tote above is cause its colored, these are roaches and they like it dark, but I've kept them in semi transparent containers with no issues as well. keep them in the 80s with some damp sub and their population will explode rather quickly once you get some adults once you've hit this explosion your gonna need something else to feed them all too.
Thank You! I defenitely have dozens of containers likd that! Everything seems clear to me right now. Although I'm wandering how u clean it with a substrate? Do you separate the roaches first then do an overall cleaning? Or you just replace the eggcontainers and other hides?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I keep mine in a huge rubbermaid container, no substrate, small holes in lid. I use eggshell paper crates for hidey places as well as putting in a few paper towel tubes for easy catching. I have bred tens of thousands of them at this point they are so prolific. I have to cull regularly and my whole colony started with just 3 leftover pinhead B lats that outgrew my sling. I keep mine warm, and never have to bother with adding moisture since they produce their own condensation (lots of condensation). I offer no water but do provide fresh fruit/veg regularly for their water source; plus grain cereal and cat food. With a new small colony -- you probably will need to add a water source though.
Good luck with your colony. You probably won't need it. lol

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
I keep mine in a huge rubbermaid container, no substrate, small holes in lid. I use eggshell paper crates for hidey places as well as putting in a few paper towel tubes for easy catching. I have bred tens of thousands of them at this point they are so prolific. I have to cull regularly and my whole colony started with just 3 leftover pinhead B lats that outgrew my sling. I keep mine warm, and never have to bother with adding moisture since they produce their own condensation (lots of condensation). I offer no water but do provide fresh fruit/veg regularly for their water source; plus grain cereal and cat foods. With a new small colony -- you probably will need to add a water source though.
Good luck with your colony. You probably won't need it. lol
Thank you all for your amazing replies!