User Frogdaddy's Tarantulas: A Love Story

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I hope this will be kind of a visual journal of my journey with tarantulas.
I purchased my first on 10/19/19, an Avicularia avicularia from a local pet store. 20191120_110746.jpg
He is housed in an arboreal ExoTerra, and had his ultimate molt on 6/15/20.
20200213_113559.jpg

Of course I decided I needed more T's.
On 7/28/20 I purchased an Aphonopelma seemanni. 20200729_134209.jpg
I housed her (not confirmed female) in a nice big Sterlite tub with about 7 inches of substrate for burrowing.
20200813_184140.jpg 20200813_184214.jpg

It took a couple of weeks to settle in, but when she did she expanded her starter burrow and sealed herself inside for nearly two months. 20200823_105919.jpg

She finally dug herself out after her molt on 10/17/20. 20200816_151714.jpg

After a year of keeping T's I felt I was ready to take on the challenge of slings and placing a large order with an online vendor.
For a few months I bought, collected, repurposed all kinds of containers to house slings.
I drilled and poked holes for weeks. I mixed my own substrate, I used a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and top soil.
I would have taken photos of the process of putting the enclosures together. Next time. 20201005_155611.jpg 20201021_163637.jpg

I really like these condiment cups from Little Ceasers Pizza. I would guess the size ar around 6oz. Here they are next to a 2oz and 4oz condiment cup. 20201021_092522.jpg
20201021_092503.jpg

Just some pics of sling enclosures. 20201021_163728.jpg 20201021_163810.jpg 20201021_164050.jpg

Unfortunately the wonderful USPS decided my home address didn't exist so they sent my order of sphagnum moss back to the vendor. They are reshipping it so I'll.have it early next week.

On 10/22/20 I received my order of slings.
1x Acanthoscurria geniculata - Brazilian White Knee
1x Brachypelma boehmei - Mexican Fire Leg
1x Chromatopelma cyanopubescens - Green Bottle Blue
1x Grammostola iheringi - Entre Rios
1x Grammostola pulchra "quirogui" - Brazilian Black
1x Grammostola rosea - True Rose Hair
1x Harpactira pulchripes - Golden Blue Leg Baboon
1x Nhandu chromatus - Brazilian Red & White
1x Pterinochilus murinus - OBT
1x Pterinopelma sazimai - Brazilian Blue
1x Tliltocatl vagans - Mexican Red Rump
1x Nhandu tripepii - Brazilian Giant Blonde
Rehousing was a breeze and it took less than an hour to rehouse all 12 slings.

I don't have many pica of the slings yet for a few reasons.
1. The little guys immediately took to the starter burrows I provided.
2. The day I got the slings just happen to be the same day the contractor decided to show up and put the new vinyl siding on my house. So there is a lot of banging going on and you can hear and feel it inside the house. But the new siding does loom really good.
3. I want to disturb them as little as possible.
I don't think I'm even going to attempt a feeding till sunday. That way they can settle for a few days and there won't be and pounding on the walls that day. See #2 above.

I did manage to get a few shots of the bigger slings who are less disturbed with all the hammering going on.
T. vagans 20201023_123345.jpg

G. iheringi 20201023_115026_HDR.jpg

G. puchra aka Inmate #76932 20201023_114443.jpg
Yep that's a tiny spider butt lol.
I named it Inmate #76932 because I repurposed an old container and that's what was written on the top.
20201021_163738.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Braden

Arachnoknight
Me too! Out of curiosity, what did you pay for all the slings?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
It's been a few weeks since I got these slings, since everyone is settling in nicely it's time for an update.
Pterinopellma sazimai 20201118_153455.jpg

Grammostola rosea 20201118_153602.jpg

Brachypelma boehmei 20201118_153920.jpg

Haptrica pulchripes 20201118_154238_HDR.jpg

Everyone has eaten several times since I've recieved them. I've had a few molts, A. geniculata and N. tripepii recently. My T. vagans is still hiding out in his sealed burrow. I hope he comes out soon. I only saw him for three days once I got him.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Freshly molted Grammostola iheringi
20201129_092539.jpg

I'm still waiting on my Nhandu chromatus, N. tripepii, T. albopilosus, and T. vagans to unbury themselves and reveal their new clothes.

Last edited:

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Love the way irheringi's look blue under certain light when freshly mouIted 😍

syrinx

Arachnopeon
Perhaps I could get some advice from you more experienced keepers. My first sling A versicolor is doing great for 6 months and my second comes out of its burrow every few days. They have both eaten multiple times and molted 3 times. My third, a Nhandu chromatus, has been buried and molting since I got him 2 weeks ago. The store owner spritzed the deli cup on the day I purchased it and I spritzed it again a few days ago after letting it go completely dry. It is getting condensation everyday with some ventilation. I have not seen the sling yet. How do I know I purchased a living T and that it is OK? 2 pix attached. Thx in advance.

Attachments

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Perhaps I could get some advice from you more experienced keepers. My first sling A versicolor is doing great for 6 months and my second comes out of its burrow every few days. They have both eaten multiple times and molted 3 times. My third, a Nhandu chromatus, has been buried and molting since I got him 2 weeks ago. The store owner spritzed the deli cup on the day I purchased it and I spritzed it again a few days ago after letting it go completely dry. It is getting condensation everyday with some ventilation. I have not seen the sling yet. How do I know I purchased a living T and that it is OK? 2 pix attached. Thx in advance.
Ok first off if you have that much condensation things are WAY WAY too moist. A little condensation can be dealt with but you have a lot of moisture which can be detrimental for a T. I recommend you change the substrate to dry sub immediately. Also add plenty of ventilation holes in the top of the enclosure to help some of that excess moisture evaporate.

Second, don't spritz, mist, or spray your tarantulas or substrate. They don't like it and it does no good except to wet the surface of the substrate. Slings do need a slightly moist substrate. Not wet, not damp, slightly moist. The best way to achieve this is by making sure the bottom layer of substrate is moist. What I do is take a plastic coffee stirrer, you can get these from McDonalds or BK. I poke a hole though the sub on one side of the enclosure, right up against the side of the enclosure, then pour a little water down the hole. You will see the very bottom of the sub turn a darker color as it absorbs the water. This way a T can burrow down to the moisture level it wants to. Keep an eye on the color of the sub and as it dries up and turns lighter in color you can apply more water via the same method. Depending on your species some like it a little more moist than others and as they grow they may or may not need moist sub.

Third, you N. chromatus is behaving completely normal. It is not on common for T's to bury themselves for weeks or months before they molt. BE PATIENT. The sling will come out when it's ready and not a moment too before. Or you have possibly killed it. Have you tried feeding it yet? If the feeders are disapearring or are moved then the sling is coming out to feed. If it's not, remove the uneaten feeder after 24 hours, wait a few days and try again.

Fourth, this forum is an excellent site for information. Try doing some searches on some of your basic questions. More than likely these questions have been asked and answered at least a dozen times before. You may be able to find the answer to your question by just searching and reading.

Fifth, this probably should have been posted in the Tarantula Chat forum instead of this thread.
Thx.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
No tarantula can cope with that much moisture on the walls.

Also N chromatus appreciates a bit of moisture in the substrate. It is never a good idea to allow the substrate to dry out completely when you have a tarantula thats sealed itself in to moult. The bottom layers at least should be moist.

You don't mention the size of this N chromatus other than it's a sling. I'm wondering if it's a small juvenile, as the enclosure and vent holes look quite large for a sling. I find them fairly hardy so I would guess that it's probably still alive down there.

Id gently open the lid and dry the condensation from it with a paper towel before replacing. Ensure the substrate is moist using @Frogdaddy 's method.

I'd also add some vent holes to the lid (not too big or it'll escape ) as that's why you had such a condensation build up after spraying. There was nowhere for it to go.

Hope you get eyes on your chromatus soon!

syrinx

Arachnopeon
TY both for taking your time to leave me such wonderful answers. I soaked up the excess condensation and then put more ventilation holes in the top. Then guess what? The sling came out of the sub. its bigger than a quarter and immediately grabbed and ate a medium sized red runner. The timing was great! thx again.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
TY both for taking your time to leave me such wonderful answers. I soaked up the excess condensation and then put more ventilation holes in the top. Then guess what? The sling came out of the sub. its bigger than a quarter and immediately grabbed and ate a medium sized red runner. The timing was great! thx again.
That's great news! You may find your N chromatus to be a bit nuts as it gets larger, especially at the juvenile stage. They are fast, skittish and you may well see some threat poses. They are not hard to keep though, and they grow quite quickly. They are gorgeous looking tarantulas too. Enjoy!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Sorry I didn't have the time to respond earlier. Glad your N. chromatus is out. I'm not sure how big yours is. Mine is about 1/2" DLS and he/she is a fun T. Make sure your substrate is packed down tight, yours looks a little loose in the photos.

Mine spends all day in his burrow but come out at dusk and is very visible in it's enclosure. Even when I open to feed or water it doesn't hide but it doesn't bolt either. It eats like a champ. Mealworms, crickets, doesn't matter it eats it. The only time it didn't eat was in pre molt three days prior to molting. Hope all goes well with your little guy.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Just found this thread
Freshly molted Grammostola iheringi
View attachment 367419

I'm still waiting on my Nhandu chromatus, N. tripepii, T. albopilosus, and T. vagans to unbury themselves and reveal their new clothes.
Gawwd I want one of these so bad!! I decided on a T. Vagans as my last T for a while, but G.iheringi are just damn adorable... What a great story btw, love 😍

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Thanks @Baby T
I hope you're enjoying your T. vagans. I have a 1.75" specimen that ate once and buried itself 5 days after I recieved it. It's been a tub of dirt for 40 days now and I'm eagerly awaiting it's exit from it's burrow. Hopefully with some new clothes.

You have got to get a G. iheringi. Ferocious eater, a saucy attitude, and always out to be seen. Highly recommend.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Thanks @Baby T
I hope you're enjoying your T. vagans. I have a 1.75" specimen that ate once and buried itself 5 days after I recieved it. It's been a tub of dirt for 40 days now and I'm eagerly awaiting it's exit from it's burrow. Hopefully with some new clothes.

You have got to get a G. iheringi. Ferocious eater, a saucy attitude, and always out to be seen. Highly recommend.
Ooh saucy attitude eh! I'm in!
Hope your T.vagans emerges soon. Mine has made a cool burrow, I can still see it so I'm happy!