Frog feeding question..

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, so I have a young Ceratophrys spp. (Argentinian Horned Frog, Pacman Frog, etc..), of about 2" diameter, and I'm wondering about it's appetite...

I've had the little guy for about a week now, and so far it's only consumed 1 cricket, and 1 cricket head (yeah, it bit the head off the cricket, then left the rest of it sitting and twitching...rather amusing, but that's aside the point.. :)

Now, I've read that these buggers are absoultely voracious and generally eat anything that moves, but that they also tend to need a couple days to settle in to their new environment...

Given he's been "home" for a week now -- should I be concerned by the fact that he seems highly uninterested in food? <shrug>

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's just "enh...he'll eat later, leave him alone." ;)

Thanks!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those I've kept usually go through voracious periods and not so voracious periods. He could also be waiting to pass a big poop! Temperature can also be a factor, frogs kept at cooler temps will tend to eat less than those kept warmer. I'm talking amphibian warm (High 70's to mid 80's), not hot like a lizard would need.

You can try setting him in a jar with about 1" of clean, non-chlorinated water for an hour or so. Sometimes, this gets the bowels moving and increases appetite.

Wade

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Enclosure temps vary between about 72 at night to 80 during the day...

I'm concerned about humidity though...I'm having trouble striking a balance between high humidity and substrate...keeping the moisture in the atmosphere as opposed to making the substrate nearly aquatic is proving to be quite tricky. :/