Friends I done screwed up big...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Fed and watered my Tarantula's before going elk hunting.
I hope the best for your little 'OBT' baby but you know, man, this kind of bad luck are the results of the curses of vegans & no hunting folks.

They have huge psychic powers able to float between time and space, they seek to destroy our world, I tell you :-/

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
You have to be careful with those deli-cups. They seem to be able to spontaneously pop. It may be due to not having one side seated as firmly as the other and the resulting stress causing the less firm side to pop up. Or maybe simply a lack of attentiveness sometimes.

Early on I had shut down for the night and in the darkness heard and audible pop. I turned on the lights and went to investigate and discovered that the lid to the one-pound size deli container that I had a L. parahybana housed in had lifted up. Had it happened after I fell asleep, it likely would have been a gone sling.

Just the other morning I was doing the routine critter check before heading to work. When I got to my baby H. spinifer's cup I noticed a gap. Fearing the worst, I breathlessly looked into the cup. That fear was realized. No scorpion. I had little time to search for the 3/4 inch scorpling. I looked on top of the gecko cage where i currently keep the cup. not there. I looked beneath the gecko tank hoping the scorp had went beneath it, attracted to the warmth of the under0tank heater. Nope.
Heartsick, I realized i was gonna have to give up, I was gonna end up late. Ihen I thought "Screw it, being gone for 8 hours just makes my finding it more unlikely, I'll look a couple more minutes.
I set out to think like a baby scorpion. Scorpions like to hide beneath pieces of bark, leaves, etc. I looked at a large nearby piece of cardboard laying nearby that I press shed snakeskin on. Maybe...I lifted up the end and there the vagabond was. I should have thought of looking there earlier on, but in my panic and still hazy with morning fatigue, it just didn't occur to me. I really got lucky. It COULD have went anyplace.

Normally I would suggest that you to do as I did and think like an OBT, like I tried to think like a baby scorp. But since it is an OBT, that could mean you going on a violent killing spree of terror, so maybe you should just keep looking. ;)

Last edited:

Methal

Arachnosquire
i've got to take a break...I've been looking for this lil' shit for 8 hours. I've turned my office and 4 other adjacent rooms upside down twice carefully examining every scrap of everything from floor to ceiling. I dont know what else to do. Going to give it a rest and hope he turns up....Left some water out in a couple water bottle lids round the rooms with a little hid next to them. Hopefully something good comes of all this and I find the guy.
Thanks for your help team =)

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I had something similar happen with a cupful of 2i OBTs. About a dozen of them got out. They were all strewn around the cup on the carpet, dried up in death curls, within a yard. Mine were in a hot, dry room, so maybe yours got farther, but based on the size of the cup you had it in, it was probably the same size as mine and unlikely to last significantly longer. If it were an adult, sure. A baby? Nah. Sorry if my word choice offended anyone.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Make sure to keep us updated if you find him! I hope for the best outcome for you.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a Stromatopelma calceatum sling around 1" loose for five or six days in my room. Woke up one morning and flipped on the light switch and there he/she was on the wall at eye-level.
Another time my Nhandu carapoensis molted to 3rd instar and became skinny enough to fit through a ventilation hole it couldn't get through before and was missing for a day. Found it in the middle of the room, strolling across the carpet.

Keep a sharp eye out! You'll probably find it.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Glad you found it, bro. I'd imagine a tarantula being loose in the house isn't a fun prospect...

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
In my experience, as soon as you stop looking, the T will turn up.

My E. olivecea sling wasn't in her enclosure when I checked yesterday morning. I went through the critter corner like a druggie looking for a fix, and then quit looking. But was worried out of my mind. This morning, she turned up in a door jam down the hall. And was none too happy about being recaptured!

I hope your little guy magically reappears soon!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They always seem to turn up when you least expect it.
I had a P.irminia sling making a run for it and succeeding. Turned the whole T.room upside down....no sling. Shut the door and taped the slits. Before going to bed, I decided to look one more time....and there it was, at eye level in the dvd cupboard....turning off the lights made it come out I think.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Hope it turns up without issues.Since the deli cup issue came up with this thread
I thought I,d post pics of an alternate choice for slings.
I don't know how many folks have access to Michaels or Hobby Lobby,but these
make great sling enclosures.They originally had glitter in them.
They were on sale,got 5 for $ 2.40 us.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hope it turns up without issues.Since the deli cup issue came up with this thread
I thought I,d post pics of an alternate choice for slings.
I don't know how many folks have access to Michaels or Hobby Lobby,but these
make great sling enclosures.They originally had glitter in them.
They were on sale,got 5 for $ 2.40 us.
Oh boy, I can hear my husband shouting already: 'first the tupperware, the rubbermaid and the cookiejars all get holes, and now you're taking the herbs containers as well??' :D

Methal

Arachnosquire
agreed

Bit once, 2 escapes and one death...dude, you do have bad luck with OBTs.
ok maybe youre right, but meh, one does not give up doing what he loves simply because luck aint with him. I think with how many OBTs have crossed my way i've been pretty good.