Friendliest Tarantula

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
Definitely has to be the cancerides they are real sweeties all the others are evil...

Seriously though you should know there temperaments better than we do, in general all three of the others are great T's to handle but from the sound of it you seem most comfortable with your curly hair so that would be the one I would tell you to hold... Greg
Agreeing that the curly sounds like your best bet based on your reaction to it.

Bearskin.... glad to see I'm not the only one with a cancerides that didn't read the 'how to be a real terror' handbook. Mine just moulted a few days and I cannot believe the change in her appearance. She's just gorgeous. Also, I am pleased to say, it didn't change her temperament... she's still a sweety :)

bpage_10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Curly hair!

I was going to recommend the avic until I actually paid attention and noticed it scared the crap out of you ( they have that affect until you get used to their "flailing" around). I'd go with the b. albop, I've never seen one that didn't take well to handling. On second thought, there was one..........the pet store employees liked to poke her with pens. :mad: *cute, huh* But hey, it needs to be up to you. I used to be terrified of ANY creepy crawly, I got over my fear with a couple of roseas and an avic, one of those roseas was a "psycho" rosea. She'd throw me a pretty threat posture if I looked at her wrong and she'd stay like that for half an hour, but if she wanted out I'd still handle her. Take everyones advice yet go with what's comfortable to you!

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MysticKigh said:
Bearskin.... glad to see I'm not the only one with a cancerides that didn't read the 'how to be a real terror' handbook. Mine just moulted a few days and I cannot believe the change in her appearance. She's just gorgeous. Also, I am pleased to say, it didn't change her temperament... she's still a sweety :)
Yeah I hate when they molt and there temperament changes for the worse :mad: My striata in my avatar molted a few weeks back and is just a little feistier now, I use to be able to just reach in and grab her up but now if I want to hold her I need to check what kind of mood she is in :( ... Greg

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Greaper said:
My two nicest T's are Grammostola acteaon and my Avicularia metallica.

I have both of them for 2-3 years and neither of them have ever showed aggression!
I second that, but a G actaeon will be pretty pricey. Mine's a real sweetie!

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, I like that ..."How to be a terror" Handbook...I think most of my Ts have read that and follow the instructions word for word! {D Doesn't stop me from loving the critters, though.....and I will probably continue to collect them, regardless of attitude!

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lta3398 said:
LOL, I like that ..."How to be a terror" Handbook...I think most of my Ts have read that and follow the instructions word for word! {D Doesn't stop me from loving the critters, though.....and I will probably continue to collect them, regardless of attitude!
Yea... apparently the handbook got passed out to the wrong Ts in my house... one of my female roseas swears she wrote it! LOL

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My chaco is one of the calmest little things I have ever seen. He just sits there, and its kinda cute but when he gets nervous he just pulls his legs up to him and pretends he is a rock. I was supposed to send him to my dad a couple months ago, but Im having a hard time parting with him.. =(

My avic is another story. Very docile, loves to be handled, absolutely *HATES* going back in his tank, nor does he fire his cannon.. =) When it comes time to be put back in his home though, he will do some amazing acrobatics and set new land-speed records to avoid the entrance. He doesnt jump much, YET.. just once.. scared the !@#!@# out of my girlfriend, but now she has claimed him as hers.. she wont touch him, but she will open his tank to feed him and water him.. =)

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a Chaco & she's the calmest of the three T's I have .. first one I handled too &
on the first day I got her as well, totally mellow.. the other two are a female Curly & an un-sexed sub-adult Rose Hair & both are docile, but the Chaco is so relaxed my 12 year old daughter has held her & she was a total arachnophobic before!

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my pulchras (4) are all very docile, I don't handle them too much, just if necessary, but they're never agressive.

fleshstain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i personally recommend a G. aureostriata....they are a lil more pricy than the common Rose or Pinktoe....but they are usually more docile and get rather large (7"+)....

joe8421

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i didn't keep any G.spp ,so i don't know ,but A.Avic of cours ,the most friendly
Ts i ever seen ,i didn't consider it as a Ts ,rather a rabbit or a turtle(that's why i sold my A.versicolor and A.Av recently) ;P

pedipalps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll vote for G. pulchra the best pet tarantula or G. aureostriata the gentle giants.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
That's helpful. Why don't you suggest a Pokie while you're at it. Or even better, just suggest they light their head on fire...
haha. Clearly someone is in a bit of a serious mood, eh?
Years old resurfaced threads on a topic that has been beaten like a very old drum need a little spice.... Unfortunately my wits are not as sharp as yours, else I would have surely come up with the "head on fire" gem.
Cheers,
Scott

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. albopilosum, G. areostriata, are my top non aggressive, easily handled Ts. Followed by A. avicularia, however they are faster moving than the other two.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus weijenberghi is by far the most docile tarantula I've ever seen. E. campestratus is also docile, but sometimes a bit skittish, and kicks hairs.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My a avic is the sweetest lil bugger i know, lol, i dont think i will ever be without an avic ever again!!! This ones my first, but shes my baby of the collection!