Friendliest Tarantula

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my subadult 0.1 poecilotheria metallica is by far my friendliest T i have atm, but otherwise i go with g pulchra.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most docile T

Just to name a handful: B Smithi, Chaco, Curly-Hair, B Emelia, Avic Avic, G Pulchra.

spyd3r1

Arachnopeon
until you deal with some Louisiana hentzi. Smaller juvies are often fairly docile. 50/50 chance of subadults being slappy to near 100% for mm when found out for a stroll- as they nearly always are.

Terry
Yea this one i have was WC in alexandria, louisiana.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great!..... and you lucked up on one of the more docile indivs.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pinktoe all the way
If you don't mind getting shot with poo. :)

Actually pinktoes also have the problem that they can move fast and can jump, which freaks people out. Not that this means they are not "friendly" but they do require a more vigilant eye when handling in my experience. Most terrestrial T's just sit there and do nothing.

jcrow209

Arachnopeon
My vote would be for a B. smithi. For a first timer, a desert species that can thrive in normal room conditions, as opposed to Avic's who need the high humidity. Not to mention their USUALLY slow as molasses! I own a B. boehmei but he will flick hairs if bothered, but I've heard B. smithi's are even calmer.I don't handle any of my T's(10 and counting)though,so can't really help there.Best of luck!

jb62

Arachnosquire
What about B. albopilosum? Wasn't my first but the more I work around them I'm finding they are great Ts for beginners. The few I have do like to kick hairs but once I get them in my hands they are as calm as can be. Better coloration than the G. rosea too IMO.
what age was the albop when you started to handle?.
and do they change personalities with each moult?.
Do you just let them walk on to you?.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm...I think my 4" versicolor might be my friendliest 'adult'. Most of my slings are friendly because they ae still little...give it another year, lol.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Despite the age of the thread, E. campestratus comes to mind......along with about half the Brachys.

In the non-Pet Rock category (in otherwords, they actually do something besides sit on your hand), Rosies are nice!!! So is G. pulchripes.

Remember, that temperament completely depends on the individual specimen. Supposedly P. cambridgei is the calmest of all the Psalmos. However, I've had Baboons that were better tempered than my Desirae!!!

In my collection, the friendliest ones are my Avics!!!!!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had my G. pulchripes/aueriostriata for almost seven years now, and I would have to say overall she can at times be rather unpredictable. In comparison to G. rosea that I have kept, she is much more prone to her little 'outbursts' at times. It is more like a hunger type of thing, but still I can see how some would misinterpret it as defensive gestures or what not. She especially hates paintbrushes as well... seeking to destroy all those she encounters. I have seen her do back flips trying to take out a paintbrush during rehousing. I had to switch to a pencil.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B Albo

Some of my B Albo "slings' are now 4" or so, and I have yet to have had a defensive pose. They are truly among the most docile of Tarantulas.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Okay, just use the search function, preferably in the questions and discussions forum. Look for the little bit of text that says "search this forum", then just type in G. pulchra. It actually saves you time, since you get the answer almost instantly compared to not knowing how long you have to wait for a reply. If you cannot find, then ask. It's more effiveint that way.

Considering this board has been around for some time, with most species you should be able to find infromation on their general temperment. The fact that it is a Grammstola, however, should tell you something about what to expect in the temperment department.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus campestratus, Brachypelma albopilosum, Euathlus sp. red/yellow/flame ect