Friend of mine found this species while in Ecuador (Need help with ID)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So one of my friend sent me this photo to see if I can ID it, however, I haven't seen anything like it. A Hapalopus species comes to mind, but I haven't seen any specimen exactly like it. Found near Coca, Ecuador. He's guessing that the body alone is 3" and w/ the legs is a total of 6".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14258095_10210603835074660_7668892660246038570_o.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So one of my friend sent me this photo to see if I can ID it, however, I haven't seen anything like it. A Hapalopus species comes to mind, but I haven't seen any specimen exactly like it. Found near Coca, Ecuador. He's guessing that the body alone is 3" and w/ the legs is a total of 6".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 220049
A 6" "Pumpkin Patch...SIGN ME UP!

The carapace is quite striking.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So from what I heard it's 'likely' to be in the Davus genus more-so than the Hapalopus. Either way it's still a beautiful tarantula!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What was the basis for that hypothesis?
A few people (on the FB group, one of which is a biologist herself) had mentioned that it might be in an upcoming paper labeled under the 'Davus' genus, however, since I don't have definitive proof, I put likely in quotes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A few people (on the FB group, one of which is a biologist herself) had mentioned that it might be in an upcoming paper labeled under the 'Davus' genus, however, since I don't have definitive proof, I put likely in quotes.
Ah very interesting! Thanks!

Would you link me to that page please?

That species and the H. sp. Columbia Large look so similar at least visually. I'd be interested in knowing if that locality would go into Davus as well.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Me too! If those are as fast though...I can't wait to read all the "Escaped H. sp. Ecuador - help!" threads... *evil snicker*
Thats exactly what I was thinking while flicking theough this thread ahaha

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Ah very interesting! Thanks!

Would you link me to that page please?

That species and the H. sp. Columbia Large look so similar at least visually. I'd be interested in knowing if that locality would go into Davus as well.
I don't have the page, I just made a post on the FB group and someone had commented on it. I'd be interested in seeing it as well since my first thought went straight to Hapalopus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have the page, I just made a post on the FB group and someone had commented on it. I'd be interested in seeing it as well since my first thought went straight to Hapalopus.
Would you link me to the FB group where the comment was made please. I'm a bit confused, you commented on a FB page, yet can't see the comment and/or the URL?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Would you link me to the FB group where the comment was made please. I'm a bit confused, you commented on a FB page, yet can't see the comment and/or the URL?
My apologies, I didn't correctly read your last comment (and add in some social drinking with friends while still on Arachnoboards..), but here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ara...tif_t=group_comment&notif_id=1473531314065687

And after re-reading, she wasn't the one who made the comment, it was a hobbyist who did and she just 'agreed' with him. So the genus is still up in the air. I apologize for the misleading comment.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm contacting the scientist who took this photo, we will find out the size for sure now.