freshly molted A.gen

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
hi guys.woke up this morning to find my female A.gen had molted.sweet.Took a rough measurement of her new carapace and it seems almost twice as big.wow.ill try get a comparison shot when she is all streched out.just some photos id like to share

Thanks for looking

vizzy

Arachnopeon
wow simply beautiful...congrats! love the pics!

making me wish i had a camera more than ever as my A. versi just molted yesterday. first molt i've seen for this tiny approx 1 1/2 inch beauty. i even caught *her* in mid-molt. talk about fascinating! i watched the process for about an hour before i had to leave. sadly she molted in her web so while i can see her through the plexiglas, i won't be able to easily get to the exuvia for examination. she's now just sitting completely still, curled up in an assball, behind it inside the web. still, awesome first molt! and once again, amazing pics! :]

vizzy

Arachnopeon
well, sadly, my T did not survive the molt. she remained motionless in her web behind the exuvia for over 36 hours and when i removed it, it was apparent that she was in a death curl. it was hard to tell because the exuvia was obscuring her until then. so sad, she doesn't move at all. even when i removed the exuvia it caught a bit of web that caused one of her legs to get gently nudged and she did nothing. she looks so tiny, way smaller than before and almost deformed now.

sorry to turn such a happy post so sad, i'm just pretty shocked. she was such a healthy T. now i cant stop thinking "what did i do wrong?". i never disturbed her, i fed her about once every 2 weeks, kept her home at 80F+ and always had water in her dish and her coconut fiber substrate adequately hydrated. she always had a good appetite, was excellent at overpowering and consuming her prey and never seemed to be cause for concern, other than the fact that she was pretty inactive for a versicolor. almost never came out of her web tunnel, only to eat or build an addition to her home.

oh well, time to say goodbye and move on. perhaps things will be better next time.

RiP Cassandra...my first T, but surely not my last...

Last edited:

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are just an awesome looking spider and one of my favorites.

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
WOW....Size comparison after 1 molt

is this normal for A.gen to get so big after 1 molt?

Rue

Arachnoknight
Very pretty! Excellent photos!:D

vizzy: Sorry your spider didn't survive the moult...:(

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
is this normal for A.gen to get so big after 1 molt?
Some species and individuals seem to be tremendously larger post-molt, and others, not so much. I've had some that were questionably larger after molting, and others that seemed to almost double their size.

Nice looking T.:)

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
Thanks formerphode. She is a beauty. I was just surprised that at what come out of her old skin.it must have been cramped in there

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a couple of 3.5" LPs that I've raised from 0.25". Sometimes they would molt and I'd wonder if they had grown any. When they molted this past December, I was shocked at the size difference. Overnight they went from being babies to these giant gangly teenagers! :)

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I have a A. genic who may be 0.25" if it stretches way out... I look forward to the day it looks like yours. :)