Freshly molt P. Metallica, molt still attached.

Ileana Mulder

Arachnopeon
My juvenile P. Metallica molted last night, and it wasn’t until this morning that I realized her molt was still attached posteriorly, though I’m not sure to what part. She did have a bum leg that was slightly bent after her previous molt. What can be done when this happens? Unsurprisingly she has been trying to get it off.
DEC9320B-A81F-47C3-A143-CBC186AFFA3A.jpeg

Ileana Mulder

Arachnopeon
Never mind, it seems she sacrificed one of her back legs to get it off. I’m hoping she’s alright to have a more or less open wound as she does.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Never mind, it seems she sacrificed one of her back legs to get it off. I’m hoping she’s alright to have a more or less open wound as she does.
I believe you can dab some corn starch on the wound to help with clotting in extreme circumstances but, if she self amputated, it’s not necessary.
(Here’s hoping that one of my more experienced cohorts here will chime in if I’m wrong on anything I’m about to say)

Tarantulas are essentially hydraulically powered sensory organs with fangs. Being as they operate that way, they can choose to cut off “blood flow” (hemolymph) to a limb in order to self amputate. So, if she chose to lose the leg, she’s probably fine. I’d rather a lost leg than a lost tarantula.

that said, your baby is gorgeous post molt and this just reminds me how badly I need one in my life.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I wouldn’t try cornstarch yet unless you see considerable fluid loss from the dropped legs. Make sure it has access to water. Best of luck

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Nothing you can do but wait. Lost legs are not a problem.

Be patient. They will grow back eventually.