Fresh H. Gigas Molt & Rehouse

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
My biggest T molted 2 weeks ago and felt it needed some new digs. Put it in a much larger tupperware tank that (while not much if any deeper) gives it a lot more space to dig.

I am blown away by it's size and color change over this molt. I would say it's easily 5" dls or more now. Any idea on it's sex? I would sex the molt, but it ate the soft parts of it.

Before:
PXL_20210126_004425054.jpg

After:
PXL_20210413_063159274.jpg
Here is the before and after on its tank size:
PXL_20210413_061753342.jpg

Hope this holds it over for the next several molts if not for life.

The rehousing was actually very easy. Simply flipped it's old tank upside down in a very large tote, let the little one calm down and right itself, and then slid all the substrate and the T out like a bunt cake. Lol. Then I just put the catch cup over it, and put it in the new enclosure. Not a single threat pose, no bolting, very very easy. The whole thing clearly scared it a lot though and I did things very slow and precise. Hope it settles in well tonight though.

Appreciate any of your own input on rehousing this species, what you think of its new tank, and what you think it's sex is?

Cheers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Box- Man, anyone that owns an H gigas without a water feature in the setup is missing out. Make a new setup. ;)

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I'll get right on installing a water fountain complete with some Koi for her to chase lol

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Is this a troll? Dorsally?
Nope just a typical active member. Thanks for the assumption though.

I know that it's difficult (if not impossible) to sex most T's just by looking at them, but some other species are quite sexually dimorphic. Wasn't sure if M/F H. Gigas were sexually distinct at this size.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Just a tip as I see your going from a clear acrylic enclosure to a smokey sterilite container. They sell an extra large kritter keeper perfect for your fossorial tarantula, trust me I know I keep mainy fossorials and I used to keep in sterilite tubs, problem is you can't see shit through it including your tarantula. I would get the extra large kritter keeper crystal clear and its big. Picture is extra large critter keeper next to a large for comparison.

Attachments